RF install failing .. older version was flawless

Post here if you have problems getting Reality Factory running on your machine. Please make sure you have the latest DirectX installed as well as updated drivers for your video & sound card before posting...
Humpty

RF install failing .. older version was flawless

Post by Humpty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:07 pm

G'day Guys, not sure if this is covered elsewhere, I have done searching, expected to find a sticky here but didn't.

A recent problem I encountered has had me installing the newer version (RealityFactory076.exe) and the update / patch ("RealityFactory-0.76.0_to_0.76.1.zip")

Initially the install wanted to default to "C:\Program Files\realityfactory". Allowing this to occur I was hit with path issues opening RF Edit Pro .. I resolved those by editing the ini and changing the paths. (this in turn also resolved issues I'd seen by other new members where entities were not listed).

But I had issues with the TXL path for the demo levels. Once I directed RF Edit Pro to the right TXL path and file the other level paths for those files seemed ok.

I then installed again but changed the defalt Program Files path to only "C:\RealityFactory" This solved the issue of paths for opening RF Edit Pro but did not for the demo levels.

Now the issue I cannot seem to get around is that when I try to run a demo level I get this message: "Windows cannot find 'C:\realityfactory.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

We know full well that isn't the path of the file. I can't find any file or registry entry that points to that file.

Should I stick with my old version or is there a work around for this?

If this is what the newcommers are experiencing then it is not looking good for the pick up. (in that my older version that I got from god knows where, didn't have these issues).
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: RF install failing .. older version was flawless

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 pm

There are 2 issues with the installer (that I've explained several times already):
1) the install directory should be C:\RealityFactory instead of C:\Program Files\RealityFactory
2) the shortcuts created in the Windows menu do not specify the correct working directory

If you install the program to C:\RealityFactory and start the tools from inside the tools folder you shouldn't have any problems.

Humpty

Re: RF install failing .. older version was flawless

Post by Humpty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks for that, I'll modify my shortcuts and I also already thought that the root was a good spot, but just went with the flow.

I didn't find that info when I was searching.

Without sounding like a wank, should perhaps a sticky be made, or even a link on the download page to a txt file for install notes? Something more obvious and accesible for the newbies (such as I).

And also thankyou for repeating your self in this thread instead of just telling me to search (coz I had).
Just a noob with a genuine hobby interest looking for answers not found in docs.
Info on my purpose here can be found at viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4831