self.IsFalling Priority

Post your Feature Requests here...
Markman

self.IsFalling Priority

Post by Markman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:55 am

Is it possible to give the special Variable self.IsFalling a higher update-priority ?

So that the system checks more often if the Pawn has landed.
At the moment, I did not find a way to play a landing Animation in time.
There is always a gap of nearly a whole second.

Or maybe it is possible to check the Distance to the ground structure via a new Script-Variable. At the moment it is already possible to check for the Texture under the Pawn, but for the Distance...?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:46 pm

I don't know but it could be that the script does not check every frame for a landing.
if you'Re in LowLevel,
change self.ThinkTime to
self.ThinkTime=0.01;
if this problem still occours then i think you're right.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Markman

Post by Markman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:09 pm

It happens in a single looping Low Level Order with 6 Lines.
I never had use for the self.ThinkTime, cos most of the time the scripts are already tending to be slow. Which can be seen in Movements and Rotations.

Maybe for a controler script, with extremely low priority, I guess I would use self.ThinkTime.

Ransom

Post by Ransom » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:38 pm

I had difficulting getting smooth results with self.IsFalling as well. But I think the problem is not how often the command is updated, but rather what is considered "falling" or not. Try placing a - if(self.IsFalling) = do whatever - command in your character's walk cycle, you'll find the pawn "falling" when you'd thought it was touching the ground.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:21 am

For me it works perfectly. I've set self.ThinkTime = 0 so it will check every frame if it has landed. And please let me know if I'm wrong, but I think if you want to be sure of these things, you should have a "self.ThinkTime = ..." line in every lowlevel order.

Another solution: there is a command that checks for the collision distance between the pawn (or a bone of the pawn??) and a specified point. So you could check if the distance between the pawn and a point directly downwards of him is less than X texels.
Pain is only psychological.