Tutorial to use the engine as an adventure game not shooter

Post your Feature Requests here...
ClassyTourist

Tutorial to use the engine as an adventure game not shooter

Post by ClassyTourist » Mon May 28, 2007 6:18 pm

Hi

I would like to you RF to make an adventure game not a shooter. I am looking for a detailed tutorial as to how to modify the game to be able to do this. When I spoke with the support department I was told there are people who have modified the engine and have written tutorials, can someone please contact me with a link.

Regards

Destron

Post by Destron » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:18 am

I doubt anybody would make an in-depth and detailed tutorial on this, since Reality Factory is for FPS's and action games. Can't you just use an adventure game maker? There are plenty out there.

ClassyTourist

Post by ClassyTourist » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:42 am

Thank you

Could you suggest one that is as comprehensive and easy to you as RF? To date I have not been able to find anything as powerful.

Regards

Destron

Post by Destron » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:33 am

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:19 am

since Reality Factory is for FPS's and action games. Can't you just use an adventure game maker? There are plenty out there.
PSSH say what now?!?

i think RF is plenty versatile,RF has been used for RPG's, Driving, Chess, Fighting, FPS's, Mechgames, Sports games,

so saying it's soley for FPS's is incorrect with the scripting language it is almost perfect for any type of game you could think of the only genre's it may get stuck on is Flight sims' and space combat, type games, due to physics limitations and open ended terrains, however this may be possible just has not been done

Destron

Post by Destron » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:41 am

Sorry, I'm not trying to say that it is impossible to to make other types of games with it, but I think RF is better for FPS's than other types of games. Plus, there are plenty of dedicated Adventure Maker programs out there.

ClassyTourist

Post by ClassyTourist » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:33 pm

Thank you for the link. I will visit the link you suggested again, I believe I went there a while back and there were some 2-D simplistic engines that the end results didn't look as nice as RFs, and a couple of 3-D engines with broken links and bad tutorials, but as sites constantly update maybe I'll have better luck.

I am VERY new to any programming. My extent is very simple HTML for web pages. I do not know how I would attempted the changes in RF, I need a tutorial to follow (which is what I was doing with RF) in order to make any changes (characters, setting etc.) either using RF or any software. Unfortunately I cannot continue with a shooter engine for an Educational game. The manufacturer says and you reiterated that the engine is capable of any type of game but without documentation for me to follow, I don't even know where to begin, hich is why I turned to the forum as the support person told me many people have adapted the game and have written tutorials.

I am working on a design document to submit to my Prof but she requires a proof of concept as well which is where the software becomes key. I need to create the characters and have them interact etc. for at least 1 level

darksmaster923

Post by darksmaster923 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:50 pm

hmm......... this is near impossible with out scripting. unless you just want to showcase a level that you can walk around in, you need to learn the language. I'm not sure there are actually 3d adventure makers
except this thing called 3d adventure studio
http://3das.noeska.com/default.aspx

I suggest to download dan valeo's ebook Making Games with Reality Factory, becuase it is extremely in depth and helpful. It covers many things
Herp derp.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:31 am

I think you could be interested in federico's s.c.u.R.F. (Script Creation Utility for Reality Factory). It's a set of scripts, I believe, which let you design an adventure game a lot easier. I'm not quite sure how it works, but the demo is fantastic!
Read more:
http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... php?t=1853
http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... php?t=2071
http://www.realityfactory.info/forum/vi ... php?t=2119
Pain is only psychological.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:14 pm

It's really simple, All you have to do with RF is change weapons from guns to swords, bows,etc. and create your own person and enemies. Then you set the default view from 1st person to 3rd person. My friend found an RF compatible abyssal whip (from runescape) with a simple online search. You can find everything you need to know with an online search engine like google, If you don't know how to use Google like 90% of the world, it's really simple.
(I don't mean to sound harsh)

43% of statistics are useless...
36% are made up on the spot...
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...