[OBSOLETE] some camera script commands?

Post your Feature Requests here...
NolanK

[OBSOLETE] some camera script commands?

Post by NolanK » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:47 am

It would be really nice to have some script commands that rotate the camera. This would make a scripted player much more customizable and would allow for some pretty cool effects imo. Some commands i was thinking of were:

RotateCameraToPawn;
RotateCameraToBone;

etc, etc...

These commands would also fix the camera issues im having with my scripted 3rd person player. Im not sure how hard it would be to implement these types of commands but i think they would be very useful.

Anyways, this is just an idea and i completely understand if these commands can't be implemented because i know how busy all you programmers are with hardware T&L, physics, and such.

Keep up the awsome work on the developpement of RF! :D:D
All your base are belong to us.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:54 am

RotateCameraToPawn;
RotateCameraToBone;
this is all possible now with the current command set,

all you have to do is either
attach a fixed camera(not the system camera) to a pawn and attach the pawn to the player(im assuming your using this for your player) and use the rotate commands that way(this

im a little unsure what your trying to achieve so im making guestimates here,
but i believe that pawn and camera scripting is unlimited in what you can do with them.

if you could give me a scenario in what your trying to achieve we could be able to give a better solution.

NolanK

Post by NolanK » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks for the help Spyrewolf!! :D:D

Heres my scenerio:

I want to have a scripted third person player in which the camera is attached to a bone behind the model (the bone is included into the actor already). I want to have this so i can do some really cool camera effects and have the camera move around the player when a specific animation is played (the camera will move via the bone that it is attached too). This is kind of like a "animated" camera.

Now i think this is possible with explanation you just gave. I think it'll work by attaching a pawn to the bone where the camera should be, then attaching a fixed camera to that pawn. I then attach another entity (probably a pawn) to , lets say the head of my player, then have the pawn where the camera is, constantly rotate towards the pawn that is by the head (this will make sure that the camera is always facing my player).

Now the only problem is...i dont know how to use fixed cameras! :cry: :?
All your base are belong to us.

gekido

right direction

Post by gekido » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:16 am

yeah the trick is not to try and rotate the camera itself, but to attach a camera to a pawn and rotate & position the pawn - any entities that are attached will rotate / position accordingly.

Dysphoriac

Post by Dysphoriac » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:00 am

Does this also mean that if you had a fixed camera, ex. in the corner of a room, you could have it turn with the character as he walks by?
"We revel in rebellious ways, rebellion that the media made. If you change your channel we'll smash your T.V."

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:24 am

yes. attach a fixedcamera to a pawn, and:

LookAtPawn(char *szEntityName, float OffsetY );

Rotate to face the actor of the specified entity.

i believe if you specify "player" it will face the player.

Nout

Post by Nout » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:57 pm

Please note that the RFwithPhysics includes a pawn command by which you can stear directly a fixed camera without attaching it to a pawn. If I remember well the command is called SetFixedCameraProperties. See the docs that where uploaded on the thread about Physics if this command is of any use for what you want to do.