A Wall Tool for the editor

Post your Feature Requests here...
Jay
RF Dev Team

A Wall Tool for the editor

Post by Jay » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:49 pm

While making a level without cut and hollow brushes, i discovered that the most time consuming part of it was... the walls!

I would really appreciate it if there was some kind of a wall tool that works this way:

You select one or more brushes (normally the floor or ceiling). Now you can use the wall tool and pull the walls to the desired height. Walls will be placed everywhere where the brushes don't have a neighbor brush (there is free room instead of another brush)

This alone would make the level building 2-3 times faster! And people would have no real arguments anymore to use the evil cut brush!
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

Voltare

Re: A Wall Tool for the editor

Post by Voltare » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:04 pm

i've even resorted to using a half-life map generator, to speed up this process. but for me, nothing beats making the walls myself, and adjusting them accordingly.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:52 am

Copy and Paste - Drag in Place! I use that if I have a bunch of walls to make.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:01 am

There is a tool for quake maps that allow you to draw your level as a 2d bitmap and the color of the walls determines where windows and doors will be placed. You can use this tool to create a .MAP file and then import it in to the RF editor, might save you some time.

http://user.txcyber.com/~si_slick/bmp2map/

ardentcrest

Post by ardentcrest » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:11 pm

This is an old program going back to 1998.

It is limated in what you can do with is as most of the colours you can use are uesed for the enetites, and not the walls.

you can olny make horizontal and vertical walls, and you can just forget about making curved or diagonal walls.

This is a great program, but it could be better, much better.

it need a good GUI, in which you can do all the editting of the BMP file. ie push a button and you can add a door, push another one gives you a window or part of a wall and so on.

Ive asked some of our own programmers about upgrading this program for RF but most are off doing thier own project.

it would be nice to see this working for us.
He's a Bot Jim, But not as we know It.