Import 3ds as BSP Level geometry

Post your Feature Requests here...
Veleran

Import 3ds as BSP Level geometry

Post by Veleran » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:59 pm

The editor can export 3ds.
Could we have .3ds import for non convex solid models of any shape?
At least,3ds import with faced brushes and no UVW's.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Import 3ds as BSP Level geometry

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 pm

You have that already...it's called actors. Use static meshes for that.

You don't want to import concave shapes into a BSP as a brush because it won't compile.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:12 pm

Right now i use static entities actors with normal mapping,Stencil Shadows-(one shadow max),
and invisible static meshes inside them for collision as level geometry instead of Bsp,
and they dont restrict the shapes you can have.

The normal mapped sep's are quite good except that they are dark on one side because
they receive light from one spotlight the maximum.
With one more light on the other side they would be better,but we are "stuck" to only one light source at the time for each normal mapped actor.
I dont use staticentities with non-normal map materials except for lamps and other transparent parts,which cant have normal mapping and transparency together.

But,i propably get double Stencil shadows:one on the staticmesh,and one on the StaticEntityProxy.
Is there a way to make the staticmesh not to receive Stencil shadows?

I dont know if the Skybox receives stencilshadows because i see it black.To have shadows on the skybox would slow down the framerate.
Does anyone know if the box'es (which enclose the whole level) faces receive stencil shadows when they are flagged as sky?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:03 am

Did a quick search and found there is a 3ds to quake MAP converter and as you might know the RF editor will import MAP files. Below is a link to the one I found, there might be others. Be sure to read the included TXT file.

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/util ... ds2map.zip

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks,it did nt work.
I used to export to quake .map in rf,some years ago in 3ds Max 4.2 by using the Script GLB2 (gamelevel builder 2)-specifically the MapExporterV1LE.

I remember the editor was getting slow because for making a curved wall with 6 segments horizontal/vertiacal,i needed to array 6x6 = 36 boxes.
Yet one of the reasons of slow down was also that i should upgrade my computer.

It would help if we import a single vertex-edited mesh sheet instead of a groupsof deformed boxes.

I installed again 3dsMax 4.2 and will work again with levels using vertex edited boxes and snaps.

P.S.I dont know why,but the editor crashes when i open a level with a staticmesh,the moment i use a new actor file for the staticmesh.
Anyone else got this crash before?