Zipped setups, everyone?

Post your Feature Requests here...
CRxTRDude

Zipped setups, everyone?

Post by CRxTRDude » Sat May 14, 2011 9:10 am

Hello, I'm new here. I'm CRxTRDUDE and I'm a comic book artist. I also do programming as a hobby primarily basics such as HTML and a little of ActionScript2.

Enough of that, I would like to suggest in the future releases of RF to include a zipped version in tandem with the setup applications. So that when people cannot install them (might be because the computer is not admin, or you are in an I-net cafe that restricts NSIS) they can just use the zipped version.

Plus, it's kind of nice if you guys include a MD5 checksum in each downloadables. That's all. my lappy's overheating...
~~THIS IS TEH CRxTRDUDE~~
Cañalita Comics junkie...

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Re: Zipped setups, everyone?

Post by paradoxnj » Sat May 14, 2011 6:01 pm

If you are running Windows 7, you can just right click the setup executable and select Run As Administrator.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:44 pm

If the file size wasn't too big, I could upload it right here in zipped format, but the whole RF folder is kind of big. Try the run as admin thing that paradox said.
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

CRxTRDude

Post by CRxTRDude » Sun May 15, 2011 9:05 am

I know that... It's just the other internet cafes have this program that restricts setups. I usually go to i-cafes for just about anything. I want to make on the fly to pass time.

BTW, I'll be willing to help in packing zip files. There's only one question for that...

Does the RF setup modify the registry?

And I'll be also willing to make the MD5 checksums for all setup programs in the near future.

I'm happy that I found this system!

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:11 pm

CRxTRDude wrote:Does RF Setup modify the registry?
??? You don't have to register your copy of RF...

Also, you're obviously new. Let me tell you that RF is a good software, if you can move past the bugs. Tell me if you need help/tutorials k? :D
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

CRxTRDude

Post by CRxTRDude » Sun May 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Sure...

BTW... What I meant for registry... is the Windows Registry. Most games/apps store some variables upon the Windows Registry. But in contrast from what I saw, RF uses INI files instead of the Registry. Hence, it might be portable(Can be put to a flash drive)...

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm a computer geek, but not when it comes to hardware.

AKA. I have not clue what your talking about :D

Don't worry about it.

ericssin

Post by ericssin » Tue May 17, 2011 1:25 am

@Nighthawk_0973 if you want to learn about windows registry check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Registry
and I agree that some times is good to have a zip,rar version, specially if you don't have patience with setups :)

CRxTRDude

Post by CRxTRDude » Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 am

Yeah and I'm on the way in making such. :wink:

Even if the main programmer's not around. At least I do my part to keep RF alive. Even if it's old.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Yeah, the only programmers around would be the guys already making their own game engines. Good luck finding programming help. Still, RF is pretty decent. The only reason I don't use it anymore is because I'm making an MMORPG, learning C++, and an doing HTML for Game Director.

So yeah, I used to do RF, check out my blog at nighthawk0973.blogspot.com and than look in the archive for Rampage of the Machines, thats my old RF project. Don't even have those files anymore but I can show you guys how to make trailers and gameplay videos like that if you want.

CRxTRDude

Post by CRxTRDude » Wed May 18, 2011 2:19 am

So then, for me, what engine can you suggest for 3d game creation that majority of people can use at the same time work for my lappy? My lappy was created in 2007 with dual-core 1GB and Chipset videocard. So it's a cheapo. ANd I use this all the time...

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:03 pm

No clue when it comes to system requirements, try this out though:

Alice - www.alice.org ment to teach programming but makes game creation easier then normal, tough learning curve though
Unity 3D - Nevewr tried it
Game Director - Not much people using it though, it's hgt_terry/bernies project, super beta mode right now

I don't have a game engine...yet :lol:

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Acually. I do believe there is a .zip version of Reality Factory on the main website. Did you perhaps mean a zipped reality factory installer?