online play

Post your Feature Requests here...
scott

Post by scott » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:30 pm

its a bit confusing but i think i get the idea, a list of ip addresses are made and the players computer takes this ip address to connect to other players?
now ip addresses change every time you disconnect from the internet, unles u have the dedicated ip address broadband, and tell me if im wrong but what you are trying to say is have a minimum server that records current ip addresses used within the game so to communicate between players.
When they dissconnect there is a log off option to remove the ip address from the list, and if you get cut off from the internet and dont have time to log off, then you could make it so either the server or player communicates with each other somthing like every 30 min, and if there the connection has been lost and the server then removes the ip address from the list other wise the list of ip addresses would keep growing.
now i hope that makes sence and that i did understand you right MakerOfGames
*GD*

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:22 am

Yes, you got it right. Although I forgot that IP's change :oops: , but your addtional idea or conclusion to that works out well 8) .
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Dru

Post by Dru » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:25 pm

couldnt we just study the quake 2/3 engine code and base it off that?

Voltare

mine ideas

Post by Voltare » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:06 am

since i don't want player vs. player in my small scale orpg(ssorpg :P ), maybe 2-4 players working together at a time, i believe it'll work just fine as it is for my game.now...since those who i'm gonna give it to first are all in the same yahoo chat room, ( most in there are good friends, and have actually visted each other----we're gettin a visit from one of 'em at the end of the month)there will be a " meeting place" already set up for those who want to play cooperatively..........

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:45 am

The ip address will work, but I will not give out my IP address to some stranger when my friends cant play. I want to be able to get online at anytime and be able to have someone to play with, even if it is just the RF forum bunch. I find it far to risky to give out IP's. Unless your machine has a static IP, your pc could become the next "host" for a nasty virus or somthin. A server browser would make things alot easier to find people to play with.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:37 am

Well i have a network setup at my house what i think i'm gonna do is try it and give everyone a current feature list/matrix of what actually is in RF-multiplayer,

we all have a vauge idea but nothing concrete:

hopefully this will give everyone a list to work off and maybe include it into a FAQ, or on the website...

i'll get a test setup sometime this week and let you all know how RF handled Multiplayer and what it currently had.
couldnt we just study the quake 2/3 engine code and base it off that?
not really, but it could give us knowledge of how networking is handled, but apart from, for game specifics there would be nothing that would have any relevance to RF.

jonas

Post by jonas » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:12 am

I'm researching multiplayer and getting and sending ips and packets back and forth and istablishing sockets. and so far I've found this good article from gamedev.net http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articl ... le1138.asp Could we use gamespy for multiplayer? http://www.gamespy.net/networking.php
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

wooper

online play

Post by wooper » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:19 pm

so--has anyone---done anything towards the online play ideas ???

wooper

scott

Post by scott » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:18 pm

just thought of a game but need multiplayer, now im now programmer but would like to help someone...

my idea of getting multiplayer to work.

i would get another player.ini change it to player multiplyer or something, now change the source of imput from computer keyboard to source keyboard. this will set up a script that would act as a pawn but controled by a person.

have a server cpu, any computer can be a server, this will show up in a menu of some sort and can be accessed from a certain site for example of curent servers and this will be the computer the game will be played on, information on gameplay will be sent to this cpu and then the cpu will then send the information backout to all other players acting like a server.

the server cpu will take the ip address that will be sent upon conection to the server this information will be encrypted so no one can access it.

this will trigger a player spawn adding them to the game.

then will set up the script to continuosely move in the direction that was last sent and will change upon update from server.

new game information will be sent when keypress changes or mouse movment.

the server will query each player on a cycle of about 1 or 2 seconds this will give the crent posituin of everyone acording to the server. and also used as a query to see if still connected.

if disconection acures then server then waits and holds player in current position until reconection is confirmed, if no conection is reconfirmed within 20 seconds then player will be removed.

im not sure about data transfer over the net, mabe needing an extra programme for that?

this should be all possible even over a 52kb modem as infomation is sent at average 2.5kb per second should be plenty of space i would think, and if not, most people do have broadband so not such a big issue.

now i think i have coverd everything i can think of, i would love to be able to help anyone but i do only have very basic and very limited infomration on vb.net but do have the advantage of knowing how to set up a network using microsoft xp but was some time ago and cant remember too much from it.
*GD*

scott

Post by scott » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:20 pm

where is the current stuff that has been done for multiplayer as i rmember seeing a post saying basic stuff is done and shows the player but nothing else works? is this coding or scripting? and where in the instalation of RF is it?
*GD*