Full Maya support

Post your Feature Requests here...
Yorae

Full Maya support

Post by Yorae » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:16 am

Since Maya is a fairly widely used program, as much so as 3DS Max, I think it would make sense to include Maya file types for importing actors, especially since I only have Maya :P

I would also like to suggest the possiblity of texturing with a 'brush' rather than applying the texture, painting it on (for more specific detail elements, such as quickly painting on a blood splatter onto a standard wall texture)

Allanon

Re: Full Maya support

Post by Allanon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:36 am

Export to the OBJ file format and then use Equity to build your actors.

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:49 pm

It would be great if Equity supported FBX files with animations. This way you can use Maya (or any other app that supports FBX) and get animations as well.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:54 pm

HI paradoxnj

Will look into FBX files as see what we can do sounds like a good idea mate.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Will look into FBX files as see what we can do sounds like a good idea mate.
Of course it would also have to support weighted vertices as well as Maya and 3dsmax (and many other modelling progs) support them. It would also require saving in fbx format so that you can modify actors in Maya and 3dsmax.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Did a little more research and found there is a Maya exporter for OgreXML which should allow importing models and animations in to Equity.

Also hgt_terry, if you are going to go through the trouble of adding another file formt then you should just use one of the open source libraries that supports multiple file formats. That would allow Equity to support most of the popular formats used today and as they update their software to support new formats Equity will benifit without any new programming.

Open Asset Import Library (Assimp)

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Bernie raises a valid point the thing is when creating a model in Maya ( FBX Format ) is not to use weighted vertices for a model as RF does not support them anyway so the modeller would have to be aware of this.

But as far as RF2 and GD is concerned yes weighted vertices can be used and suggest they use Stage when completed.

I have downloaded the Maya FBX SDK 2012.2 which is the most up to date version so hope that fits the need.

But this is a very early start to the idea and will start with just static mesh to get the feel of the SDK
I will need a basic static model from someone a cube or something textured.

Allanon
Yes been looking into that and sounds the best option and will also be looking at that but for now the Maya SDK is straight forward enough and is C++ based but ultimately your idea is the solution and will use Assimp.

As you know we are very busy with GD so will be working on this when time allows.

Thanks

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 pm

hgt_terry wrote: Allanon
Yes been looking into that and sounds the best option and will also be looking at that but for now the Maya SDK is straight forward enough and is C++ based but ultimately your idea is the solution and will use Assimp.
Why waste your time on the Maya SDK when Assimp supports import and export of Collada which is a universal format used by most major 3D modeling applications? And Assimp can't be anymore straight forward, just use a function to import the model in to data structures then use the data in those structures to build an actor. The data structures don't change no mater what model is imported making it easy to convert the data in to what is needed to make an actor for RF or GD.

Also, Assimp has listed FBX file format on their todo list.

Yorae

Post by Yorae » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:23 am

I've not used Equity yet, but I see it comes with the tool set when downloading RF, if exporting Maya files as obj does not allow animations to be connected to it (I think someone said that before, I'm fairly new to this, only used Unity in the past) then can Equity allow the building of animations upon the actor?