How to make a game a .exe file

Post your Feature Requests here...
samaxi

How to make a game a .exe file

Post by samaxi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:06 pm

I want to send my game to my friends but I don't know how to make it a .exe file so they don't have to install the whole Reality Factory program.

PLEASE HELP

steven8

Re: How to make a game a .exe file

Post by steven8 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:59 pm

You have to create the same file structure as an RF install, and copy over the files you need for your game. Rename the RF .exe file and rename the folders to the name of your game, and update all of the ini files to reflect the path to your resources and exe. Then your friends can just copy those folders and files to their computer, and the game should run.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Use gamebuilder.exe. It's in the reality factory tools folder.
@Steven8
:o Wow it's been a long time since you were here. :D Nice to see you back, how's things going with you?

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:41 am

Hi Bernie, things are going ok. My dad wound up having a quad bypass, but he's getting around pretty good on his own, now, thank you!

Does the gamebuilder create a complete set-up now? It is a good place to start, but there was still a lot of tinkering 'after the fact', to make it all right. You have to weed out any unused files and so forth, if I recall right, and you also have to check your paths in the ini files and whatnot.

Weren't you working on Equity, bernie? How is that going?

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:38 pm

Glad to hear your father is ok now.That must have been a very difficult time for you.

Does the gamebuilder create a complete set-up now? It is a good place to start, but there was still a lot of tinkering 'after the fact', to make it all right. You have to weed out any unused files and so forth, if I recall right, and you also have to check your paths in the ini files and whatnot.
QOD fixed that a couple of years ago.
Weren't you working on Equity, bernie? How is that going?
Yes I was working on Equity with HGT_Terry but I stopped because of worries about the Genesis licence (it's very ambiguous and complicated and I felt Equity was breaking the licence agreement), however, Terry continued with it.
I also worked on GameDirector with Terry until October 2011 but I had to stop because of health problems.I had a stroke a few years ago and although I got over it pretty well things started to go wrong in October 2011 and I had to have more treatment. We have left the house we own and are now living in sheltered accomodation (independant living in a bungalow but with 24 hour medical assistance from the nursing home on the site, just press a button and a nurse appears in the house within 2 minutes, I haven't had to use it yet though touch wood). For the last 12 months or so I have only had limited internet access in the recreation room so I have not been able to do much really. I did manage to grab Neoaxis and have played around with that for a while on my PC in the house, but the limited internet access is a pain. The house has been cabled with optical fibre now so full internet available soon hopefully).

hgt_terry
RF Dev Team

Post by hgt_terry » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Its really good to see you back Bernie. :D

steven8

Post by steven8 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:36 am

bernie wrote:Glad to hear your father is ok now.That must have been a very difficult time for you.
It was, but I'm really happy about how he's doing. Looking forward to spending Christmas with him and my sister.
QOD fixed that a couple of years ago.
Couple of years, eh? I have been gone for awhile, haven't I? :roll:
Yes I was working on Equity with HGT_Terry but I stopped because of worries about the Genesis licence (it's very ambiguous and complicated and I felt Equity was breaking the licence agreement)
I know it's not his license agreement, but Gekido is having folks complain about how horrible restrictive his gamemaker license agreement is. Seems to follow him around. Who is left to talk to about the G3D license?

So sorry to hear about you health issue, bernie. I hope only the best for you, my friend, and wish you a happy Christmas.

Did you like gamemaker?