2D, localizations, .exe?

Post your Feature Requests here...
newstARTer

2D, localizations, .exe?

Post by newstARTer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 am

Dear Reality Factory support team/active users,

Have got three questions about RF features:

1) I've read the engine is suitable for creation of 3D adventure games, however didn't find any information if it fits 2D and 2.5D (2D backgrounds + 3D models) game development.

2) Also is it flexible in terms of multi-language localisations of the ready product and

3) does it compile the ready game into a .exe?

THANK YOU very much for your attention, tolerance, and friendly advice!

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: 2D, localizations, .exe?

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:13 pm

newstARTer wrote:1) I've read the engine is suitable for creation of 3D adventure games, however didn't find any information if it fits 2D and 2.5D (2D backgrounds + 3D models) game development.
No, RF is not prepared to do pure 2D or 2.5D games.
newstARTer wrote:2) Also is it flexible in terms of multi-language localisations of the ready product and
Yes, with RF you can easily switch between text files and/or voice-over of multiple languages.
newstARTer wrote:3) does it compile the ready game into a .exe?
The program code comes already as compiled executable. Most of your game data can be packed into a custom archive format. If you are asking for an installer, then no, that is something you have to do yourself (e.g. using NSIS).

Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:30 pm

I didn't want to create yet another topic asking the same questions, but since I've come to find out that RF has been updated some time ago, I figured I would ask anyway:

How hard would it be to implement 2D sprite support? I think this can also possibly reduce some lag in the game, depending how the designer handles the sprites.

Another question I wanted to ask is: how plausible is it that RF will get an OpenGL renderer, to work on Linux and other platforms? I think a toolset like Reality Factory would greatly benefit from running on other platforms besides Windows.

Thanks for reading!

Grok

Post by Grok » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Agentbromsnor wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:30 pm
---

How hard would it be to implement 2D sprite support? I think this can also possibly reduce some lag in the game, depending how the designer handles the sprites.

---

It would be nice with some updating of the engine. It is dated in a number of ways, but I think the basics have a lot of good to them. I have the experience of making one (1) game using RF. Which is my only actual game in 3D. Some things have been very good to work with, some have been quite hard (video cutscene with sound). An updated version of RF could be really good.

On the question of 2D.

You can actually do some 2D stuff in reality factory using the ShowHudPicture function.

In the linked clips I've used 2D to represent the interface with the replicator machine and the computer desk. Also used 2D-images of the 3D-world for shooting the phaser gun at the door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw4s578P0Gk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF_fze5mhLA

I also have a 2D mini game in the same game (a 2D pig-in-a-pen shooting game). I didn't find a video of that though.

So even if it is not the intended use it is possible to do 2D inserts in a limited way.