Hardware T&L

Post your Feature Requests here...
Gamespider

Hardware T&L

Post by Gamespider » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:40 pm

In my opinion, the only thing preventing rf from being one of the top engines, is its lack of hardware T&L. Is someone already working on it? If not, it would be nice if someone took his time to implement it. I would have done it myself, if I were better at C++

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:41 pm

wxb1 has worked on hardware T&L a while ago, I don't know what the current status of his progress is though

wxb1
RF Dev Team

I NEED HELP!

Post by wxb1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Yes I have been working on it for longer than I'd like to admit (I've started and stopped this project many many times)... Quest I'd like to try to send you what I have done so far which is very much a hack but I believe is going in the right direction... I'm going to bite the bullet and try to figure this out... But a fresh pair of eyes can help... At this point I'd like to work with Quest and/or anyone else willing so we can move this very important feature forward... I have a particular nasty bug that has stopped me in my tracks... The bug is that the indivual polys that make up an actor are not rotated properly.... For very small meshes this does not seem to be a problem but most meshes I believe this would be problem.... It's very strange... The animations however are still uniform and look proper if you play them... I think I tried to send this to you (Quest) the code through e-mail but had I had some bandwidth problems since my upload is much slower than my download speed... Does this web site allow ftp?
Attachments
TnL.jpg
(35.71 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:31 pm

Here's another picture of TnL in action... for this actor it seems to work just fine but it's not so complex...
Attachments
goodTnL.jpg
(34.74 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:34 pm

Yes I have been working on it for longer than I'd like to admit (I've started and stopped this project many many times)...
totally understand you... I've been working on the stencil shadows for longer than a year (or was it 2?)
I think I tried to send this to you (Quest) the code through e-mail but had I had some bandwidth problems since my upload is much slower than my download speed... Does this web site allow ftp?
unfortunately public ftp upload is not supported by this site
you may try to mail the code to realityfactory@gmx.at
if it doesn't work, I'm sure we can find another way...

wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:07 pm

My full zip is about 50MB but I'm sure you don't need this I'll try to get it to just the genesis project and the actor viewer source and binary...

Here's the actor viewer binaries....

I'll have to email it to you... I've reached my upload quota...

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:15 pm

increased your upload limit to 2MB

Gamespider

Post by Gamespider » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:41 am

Glad to hear someone's working on it :D

federico
RF Dev Team

Post by federico » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:14 pm

I don't know what exactly hardware t&l is :oops: but ...
I set up an ftp space at:

http://realityfactory.altervista.org

I send username and password to QoD. The space is totally 100MB + other eventually 100MB. No file limit upload. The use will be decided by QoD (even not use this space....) but you have to remember that is a public space so you will have to use it respectfully to the Community.

wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:25 pm

federico wrote:I don't know what exactly hardware t&l is :oops: but ...
I set up an ftp space at:

http://realityfactory.altervista.org

I send username and password to QoD. The space is totally 100MB + other eventually 100MB. No file limit upload. The use will be decided by QoD (even not use this space....) but you have to remember that is a public space so you will have to use it respectfully to the Community.
Hardware TnL is hardware accelerated Transformation of polygons and Lighting... It is a prelude to shaders which give you more contrrl over of this hardware transform/lighting pipeline. If coded properly we could get much higher frame rates with much more complicated geometry on-screen...

GD1

Post by GD1 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:20 pm

hmm... didn't know it was related to shaders. but since it is does that mean shaders are just around the corner? i mean, once we get this done we'll be able to integrate DirectX 9.0 right? or am i just really tired and not remembering correctly?
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:03 am

TnL and shaders are related in that they both are hardware acceleration of transformation and lighting engine... Some books called TnL the "default" shader... Honestly if the problems with this portion of my dx7 TnL code can be solved I would be all for moving forward with dx9 code... I too am hoping we can get this stuff done as soon as possible...

scott

Post by scott » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:37 pm

sounds gr8 keep the good work up, i could use a fps upgrade, i have a lowish count on the level i have designed and i have a newish computer, it would help alot.
*GD*

wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:04 pm

Better later than never!

@Quest:
You should get the source today... you should get the genesis3d TnL library source + the actor viewer source... Let me if you don't get it today... I'll check back in later...

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:34 am

I did get a mail from you but it didn't have any attachments...
check your pm