Hardware T&L

Post your Feature Requests here...
Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:13 pm

umm...how is it going with hardware T&L? Or when will be your project finished?
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:39 pm

My project is done and I'm currently putting together a new RF release with some of Nouts changes (no physics) and some bug fixes
TnL is next on the list

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:09 pm

some of Nouts changes

Will the vfs file encryption problem be fixed?

Has anyone encountered the player projectile shooting only west or east problem, or the
baddies' projectiles missing the player wide left or into the ground, using Nout's physics .exe?

Nout

Post by Nout » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:10 am

Hike,

For the projectile, I know the issue. It's very simple to solve

For the VFS, have you tested it using the password? Please reply on this in the other thread. I'm quite sure the VFS works for 95% of the files.

Quest,

Can we team-up on the plan for the next release and come to 1 larger release, including the physics. Several bugs are resolved (including the rotation bug) and the physics will add a lot of new posibilities.
Releasing 2 different RF's having 90% common and each 10% difference does not sound like a preferred scenario for any user?
I'm close to having the job done and to release
An alternative is to integrate all your changes into the next release I've planned. Let me know what you prefer.

Guest for now

Post by Guest for now » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:31 pm

Hi guys. I have followed RF for a while. However the DX7 limitation has kept me from jumping in so far. I was wondering what the status was for the T&L implementation.

I understand that it is a large task, but I was curious as to where it stands. Perhaps a forecast page could be created? I apologise if it is listed somewhere, but this is the only reference I have found.

Thanks and keep up the great work!!

dbigers

No longer a guest

Post by dbigers » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:52 pm

Ok I have now registered. I am still quite interested in RF. Of course, my only remaining major question is if the T&L support is still being worked on?

As I mentioned I do understand that it is no easy task to implement. I do not have any illusions there, but I was wondering if it is still being actively pursued.

RF is on my short list of engines for my adventure game. Nothing major. I could probably do what I want to do in AGS but the ability to have full 3D environments would be nice. I have read over the scripting and entity system for RF and I think it can handle my needs.

But with all T&L on the CPU things are a bit choppy. I have a P4 2.8C with a 6800GT and another system with an 3500+A64 with same video card. Neither gives me the performance I am looking for within RF. Of course this is due to the lack of T&L.

Beyond Virtual is another candidate, as well as the Apocalypse 3D engine. Both offer very nice graphic effects and both also offer scripting with AngelScript. Apocalypse offers LUA as well.

After looking over what is possible with RF scripting I am not sure that I need the scripting capabilities of the other engines--for my needs. But T&L support would really cement the decision to go with RF.

Once again, thanks to anyone who replies. Although I have been a lurker for many years here I have seen the great work that has been done with this engine, especially considering the limitations of being tied to Genesis. If anyone know if the T&L support is still being worked on I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks,

Donnie
Donnie

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:07 pm

Yes it is still worked on but there hasn't been much progress. I've been pretty busy with other projects, putting together the new release, managing the website etc...
I hope to finish the transition to hardware TnL till summer 2006.

dbigers

Post by dbigers » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:47 pm

Thanks for replying. I will certainly keep an eye out for the update. BTW, I applaud your effort(s). It is certainly beyond me to even think of attempting something like that. I have nothing but respect for people like you. Best wishes to you.
Donnie

scott

Post by scott » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:48 pm

last post january? any news... just wondering,
*GD*

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:28 pm

Well, I didn't have much time to work on TnL lately :(
Still working on the bsp creation process to reduce geometry splits caused by the lightmapping process (larger lightmaps -> less polys, less texture switches). Also I'm trying to replace the texture shift/scale/rotate system with simple uv mapping but I haven't worked out all the details yet...

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:56 pm

How goes the hardware TnL project? Its been over a month since the last post.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:48 pm

Anything still happening here? If the TnL project is still going on, I would like to test it on my ATI Radeon 9600 256 MB graphics card at some point.
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:50 am

will rf2 have t&l straight away?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:26 am

Yes, it will.

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:57 am

sweet 8)
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.