Body Damage System

Post your Feature Requests here...
SithMaster

Body Damage System

Post by SithMaster » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:34 pm

For FPS games depending on where you shoot a character the more damage you do. Like headshots instantly kill, body shots do 50% damage, arm shots do 25% and leg shots do 25% damage. I know you can just attach multiple pawns to a torso for this effect but that requires perfect postioning and what not. I think the method from half life is best where invisible boxes are around the limbs and they detect hits. Im not a programmer so someone else would have to implement this idea. Of course i understand that this feature is not currently key as physics and multiplayer are more important.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:59 pm

this should be possible with a bit of low level scripting

char* GetLastBoneHit();

Returns the name of the bone last hit.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:22 am

QuestOfDreams wrote:this should be possible with a bit of low level scripting

char* GetLastBoneHit();

That would work, but, unless you stuff your actor full of bones there will be errors. Shoot through the torso to the left and right of the spine etc and no recorded damage. I think thats how it would work, right? I dont know never tried it. I would attach object to player and if collision with bullet then apply damage to player. But thats just me.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:25 am

Sorry bout that, got kicked off , didnt realize it and didnt re-log-in. That last post was from me, MoG.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:31 am

Anonymous wrote:
QuestOfDreams wrote:this should be possible with a bit of low level scripting

char* GetLastBoneHit();

That would work, but, unless you stuff your actor full of bones there will be errors. Shoot through the torso to the left and right of the spine etc and no recorded damage. I think thats how it would work, right? I dont know never tried it. I would attach object to player and if collision with bullet then apply damage to player. But thats just me.
the way i believe (and hope) it works is it checks the geometry assigned to the bones and not the bones themselves... never tried it, so i don't know...

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:41 am

Oh, that could be. Never thought about it. Well, I guess try it with the bone detection and tell us the results if you wouldn't mind SithMaster. Thats my advice.
Think outside the box.
To go on an adventure, one must discard the comforts and safety of the known and trusted.

SithMaster

Post by SithMaster » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:58 am

I dont mind. I currently dont have time to experiment and appreciate everyones help on this matter and any others. But if you want give it a shot (a little body damage humor).

Kamazy

Bady Damage

Post by Kamazy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:31 pm

What about a hit box system, attaching hiden boxes on the body and have the system check where you got shot, i don't know much about scripting but it doesn't sound hard. Simple boxes or suck low poly hiden models attached to the bones.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:03 am

You cant tell me that know body knows if that the bone collision only checks for bones hit or polys around them. Somebody here has to have tried it since the last RF was released. So... anyone try it? I haven't. Not far enough along in development to do so.
Think outside the box.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that bones are merely a visual representation of the vertices that are moved at once. Well, not just a visual representation, but they're not 'there' in game. The bones are really the surrounding vertices. ... I think. I'm no programmer, but that's how I think it would be... oO;
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination! Thank you.

MakerOfGames

Post by MakerOfGames » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:15 am

Thanks for your input. I still find it funny that no one knows for sure how it works.
Think outside the box.

wxb1
RF Dev Team

Post by wxb1 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:39 pm

MakerOfGames wrote:You cant tell me that know body knows if that the bone collision only checks for bones hit or polys around them. Somebody here has to have tried it since the last RF was released. So... anyone try it? I haven't. Not far enough along in development to do so.
The bone bounding box covers a set of vertices/polys that are controlled by that bone so if you have a bone that allows movement of the forearm then hitting this bounding box covers the whole forearem as I remember it... I thought I put out a demo of per bone collisions and I know Pickles did... If I can find the demo level then I will post it here or on the FTP site...

rgdyman

Post by rgdyman » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:40 pm

Ok. This is rather embarrassing :oops:

But I don't know how to turn "On" the PerBoneCollision();
and get rid of the Bounding Box. :roll:

Can someone let me know how to get the bone collision on..?

Thanks.
rgdyman

EDIT;

See I knew it would be embarrasing. It's active already :shock:
Just have to script it in.
"Never Mind" :roll: