Introduction to Machinima with Reality Factory

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
gekido

Introduction to Machinima with Reality Factory

Post by gekido » Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:27 am

Hello everyone,

I have finally finished formatting an article I wrote a while back for a Magazine (not sure if it ever got published or not).

The article (35 pages) is a complete introduction on using Reality Factory for producing Machinima - making movies within game engines.

The article is available online at http://www.uber-geek.ca/?page=machinima.php

The article is pdf format and there is a link to a streaming version of the Video that is produced during the article.

Cheers
Mike W
GDGi

Master

Post by Master » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:49 am

Nice work. This is an extremely informative article. Really liked 'Promised Land' too.

gekido

thanx

Post by gekido » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:53 am

turned out fairly well considering how much time i put into it (few hours tops).

this article should be useful for anyone looking for an intro tutorial to the rf editor as well, much of the article is dedicated to getting started with rfeditpro and the basic entities.

i have also included the script that was used for the controlling of the spaceships in the video as well as descriptions on how they were used in the level...

gekido

resources for the demo

Post by gekido » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:12 am

i'll try to get around to zipping up the level & resources that i used for the video in the near future as well - the level is pretty simple and should hopefully explain to rf developers how easy it is to use the camera system & triggers without even needing to get into scripting.

you could do an entire movie with all the edits & cuts you want just with the basic entities that ship with RF for example

in the finished video - all of the camera cuts & switches are done automatically by the entities and triggers - none of it is done with scripting at all. i specifically avoided using a script-type of demonstration because it was beyond the scope of this article - as it was i had a hard time fitting it all into the word count that they wanted...

i'm also going to try and post up the unreleased cold war crisis game that i was working on - it had numerous examples (scripted & not) of machinima as well as a complete game with multiple levels, terrain, badguys, and much more that i put together...will try to get that out sometime in the next short while...

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:35 pm

Nice! Thanks, Gekido. I'm reading it as of now and it's well written. :D Thanks, again! This will be infinitesimally helpful for the project I'm working on!
(\/)
(Oo)
(><)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination! Thank you.