Need some help plz!

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Mysty1234

Need some help plz!

Post by Mysty1234 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:40 am

Hi Everyone!

I want to know how to use the rf texture packer, I've downloaded some textures but i cant seem to figure out how to get them to work!
Any help would be much appreciated :D

Thanx
Mysty1234

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:49 am

your texture must be in .bmp or .tga format
open the texture packer and then just drag and drop the files to the listbox

RF Texture Packer

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:00 pm

I saved my textures in the RF Texture Packer, But when I open RF Edit Pro I dont see them, What should I do? :?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:23 pm

In RFEdit Pro go to Project -> Level Options and just browse for the texture library you saved

Mysty1234

2 Quick questions

Post by Mysty1234 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:47 am

First: I have a large City in .3ds format is it possible to use it in RF? Second: How do you change a .MAX or .3ds file into an .Act file?

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:28 am

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:20 am

If you have milkshape you import the 3ds file and export the level as a 3dt file if your planing on making this your level. If your wanting to make it into a object in the level, export to the bdy file format then use this program(forgot the name but its included with the install) and export to act file format then set it as a pawn in your level!

I think thats right! Please Correct me if I'm not all the way right!
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Kamazy

Post by Kamazy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:43 pm

You can also use tha Actor studio program to make .max in to .act and add them as StaticMesh entity. If You don't know how here's how.
1. You Need 3d Max (Duh) and a phisiqe modifier (not sure from where to get this io think it comes with charector studios "A 3dmax plug in")
2. You need to get a .nfo and .key exporters download from http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm Search under Genesis actor modeling
3. After you download the plugins put them in you's 3dmax\pluging directory.
4. Use Actor Studio to turn .max in to .act.
There's a tutorial in the RF\Tools\Tools\.
But here's some things i didn't from the tutorial.
All the textures have to be paleted.I wasn't sure what that ment so make sure you's textures size is 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256 ect......
And 8-bit.
The best thing to do is make a directory like this
D:\MyActors
\Max "put you's .max files in here"
\Maps "put you's textures in here"
The rest Should be easy. Or in the tutorials.

moteev

Post by moteev » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:59 am

ok so you can import a map made in a 3d modelling program to milkshape via .3ds, sounds great to me cause i just got a 3ds exporter for maya 6.5. but with maya i can also export to milkshape in half-life SMD format and wavefront OBJ. can anyone tell me which would be the better export method?

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:02 pm

I strongly recommend using RF's level editor for building your world.
Modelling your levels in other programs and converting them to 3dt files is rather problematic and most of the times you will run into problems (convex brushes, retexturing) that take you longer to solve than building the level in the RF editor.

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:29 pm

ok so you can import a map made in a 3d modelling program to milkshape via .3ds, sounds great to me cause i just got a 3ds exporter for maya 6.5. but with maya i can also export to milkshape in half-life SMD format and wavefront OBJ. can anyone tell me which would be the better export method?

RF was designed to be made out of brushes, that means learning an RF editor or Valve hammer, GTK radiant, whatever
saves to .map files. The Static Meshes are for small decorative objects, using them for buildings means you still have to have
invisible brushes for collision. BULLETS GO RIGHT THROUGH STATIC MESHES!

Demos http://terrymorgan.net/download.htm

AndyCR

Post by AndyCR » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:46 pm

hike1 wrote:The Static Meshes are for small decorative objects, using them for buildings means you still have to have
invisible brushes for collision. BULLETS GO RIGHT THROUGH STATIC MESHES!
static meshes now have per-poly collision detection, so that's no longer a concern (set collisionchecklevel or colchecklevel to 2 or 3)