Pre-rendering?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Dysphoriac

Pre-rendering?

Post by Dysphoriac » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:13 am

Hi, I was wondering whether or not pre-rendered backgrounds were compatable with Reality Factory. If so can some give me a brief summary of how this works, mainly because I want to attempt a Resident Evil style game and also because I'm curious. Thanks.
"We revel in rebellious ways, rebellion that the media made. If you change your channel we'll smash your T.V."

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:47 am

well, RF is not really designed for prerendered backgrounds, but it should be possible...
render your scene as you would do for a skybox (90° fov, rotating the camera 90° for the next render...) and assign these textures to a skybox in the rf level editor, then setup a fixed camera exactly the same way as you did in your rendering program. For collision you will build a simplified version of the scene in the editor (using clip brushes); for objects that may be in front of the player you will probably have to add actors to the level

Dysphoriac

Post by Dysphoriac » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:35 am

Yeah that was along the lines of what I was thinking. I've been experimenting with static entities, transparent boxes, and some other stuff. And I'm still not positive of what the best way to go is, but thanks for the reply.
"We revel in rebellious ways, rebellion that the media made. If you change your channel we'll smash your T.V."