2 quick Q's

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
primalsac

2 quick Q's

Post by primalsac » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:21 am

1st question. Does save/load work? I saved a position in my level, then moved then tried to load the save and when i clicked load my computer locked up and it changed the resolution on my desktop. 2nd question. I just recently purchased A6 standard 3d game studio. (i just updated for 30 bucks, i had A5 for 2 years). I saw not too much difference in graphical quality , but I did notice framerate of rf was more sluggish. Im on a budget but I want to do some serious gaming, and was wondering which to invest in. I used rf back when it was 67 I believe, and wow! awesome changes! And I definitely dont have the amount of features with rf that I do in A6 standard(unless I upgradede to commercial, for shaders and multiplayer) Is staying in dx 7 technology going to hamper me in making commercial quality games. Yes i know the old adage about its the artist not the engine, but I need a stable fast engine to pump out some quality artistry. Ive been bouncing back between A6, rf and dark basic pro to figure which I like. I love the rf interface but I wanna get serious now and settle on an engine. Sorry for the long post but I know this is an excellent community and will get an unbiasewd opinion. Thanks

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:49 am

Q1. Yes .....and no, Basically the save/game/load game will work, but you will have to setup your scripts to handle enemy posistion's by attributes, saving the game tracks attributes.

to put it simply if you have an enemy in XYZ location, you will have to track it same as if it dies, other wise when you load up your game they'll spring back into life.

Q2. .....is that a question?
I guess it's all a matter of opinion, i myself have never used either of the other two, people say that A6 is good(the free one) but lacks the features of RF, and DB i've seen work created with the commercial version and it looks pretty but i heard it lacks support,

I think that for bang for your buck RF is the way to go(but hey im biased, EDIT: noticed you said unbiased, sorry) and what's better than free right? I here what your saying about settling down to an engine and getting content for an engine to develop for, the other thing i like about RF has nothing to do with frames, shaders, or even polygones but .....community this is the best place on the net! , since 6.7 we've come a long, long way, newest features include normal mapping ala. DOOM3, stencil shadows, and a very comprehensive scripting language, (no more jumpy-stupid baddies!...god i hated them)

as for Frame rate, RF is on the hungry side(not too bad though, hardly even noticable with newer hardware) but with practice and planning you'll soon learn the trick to avoiding the pitfalls. the other downer is no official multiplayer "coded" but nothing stopping you to code your own

hope that helped brainwash...er i mean persuade you to use RF :P

AndyCR

Re: 2 quick Q's

Post by AndyCR » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:20 pm

primalsac wrote:1st question. Does save/load work? I saved a position in my level, then moved then tried to load the save and when i clicked load my computer locked up and it changed the resolution on my desktop.
this most likely occured because you changed something in the level. every time i try to load a saved game and the level the game was saved in has been modified since then it seems to crash.l this wont be a problem when you distribute your game since the level will be finished and not be modified at that point.
primalsac wrote: 2nd question. I just recently purchased A6 standard 3d game studio. (i just updated for 30 bucks, i had A5 for 2 years). I saw not too much difference in graphical quality , but I did notice framerate of rf was more sluggish. Im on a budget but I want to do some serious gaming, and was wondering which to invest in. I used rf back when it was 67 I believe, and wow! awesome changes! And I definitely dont have the amount of features with rf that I do in A6 standard(unless I upgradede to commercial, for shaders and multiplayer) Is staying in dx 7 technology going to hamper me in making commercial quality games. Yes i know the old adage about its the artist not the engine, but I need a stable fast engine to pump out some quality artistry. Ive been bouncing back between A6, rf and dark basic pro to figure which I like. I love the rf interface but I wanna get serious now and settle on an engine. Sorry for the long post but I know this is an excellent community and will get an unbiasewd opinion. Thanks
i have the same debate. i too own a6 standard, and id say in off-time its split pretty evenly. i to be perfectly honest perfer a6, but ive been using acknex for longer than i have rf, so it might be i simply got used to it. i find it to be a lot more bug-free, but a6, at least standard, does not have the same graphical capability rf does at the moment. you have to hand-paint shadows onto a model or code a dll to get convincing model geometry. im honestly very, very split over which engine to use for my game development. i bounce back and forth constantly. i normally end up back with a6 because of rf bugs, and then back at rf because of a6 development time.

guess i'm not going to be much help here :oops:

primalsac

Post by primalsac » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:17 pm

thanks, I hear ya. Im probabaly gonna roll with rf until i run into a limitation.