How to add numerous 2D sprites (like grass) into level ?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
anhdung86

How to add numerous 2D sprites (like grass) into level ?

Post by anhdung86 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:34 am

I create a level and want to add numerous 2D grass sprites into it, but if use Foliage entity this bitmap will alway face to player. So how can i add numerous 2d grass sprites like this one? Help me please ! I'm new with RF :oops:

Sorington

Re: How to add numerous 2D sprites (like grass) into level ?

Post by Sorington » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:02 pm

it could be some kind of act I think, but y would make your game slow... :wink:
Greetings, Sorington

lindamiller40

Post by lindamiller40 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:24 pm

No doubt it'll make it more slower but still we need to know that 'how to' aspect? so do tell us. We may support thoughts by advanced graphic chip-sets.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:13 am

by Sorington » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:02 am
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

blujess

Post by blujess » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:58 pm

The best way to create a 2D sprites is to have a look and study how someone else has gone about creating the image(s), and having ago yourself. Zooming in on the image to see how its drawn is a great method!

broken580

Post by broken580 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:09 am

have nt tried them,But,you can do search yourself to find something that is working ,is easy enough and suits you.
misc explosion generators

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:44 pm

The sprites do not have a facecamera lag to turn that off so,now you would have to add as actors with Lod i guess to hide them from far.

You can use staticmesh actor that uses zsort = true and backfaced,but i ensure it will be just a small sample of foliage not real dense vegetation.
Add a staticmesh to the northeast,another to the north center and so on to be able to use lod if you want.
Rf can handle better very low resolution bitmaps nad these will not look very good at very close views..

If you want to have a staticentity ,before export you got to copy and flip polygons before the export.
If you use foliage actors of the last kind you got to keep the backfaced to false to avoid rendering twice the polygons and get crawling frame rate.

To optimize it a little set the Lod2 distance to the environment settup lod distance settings and use a version of the grasses with half and less polygons to display at far distance,and use an actor with just the bones and no mesh for the lod2 or lod3 to make the grasses disappear.

There would be a glitch when you use stencil shadows and the shadows can be seen on the invisible areas of the grasses,
but if you just use blob bitmap shadow it will be ok.

i would not do that even with lod because at close views it will be slow to Render.You can use less but there will not be enough foliage to cover the terrain.
You can use less dense actors to go on with prototyping levels.Or use other engines that can do foliage.

The games you can do with rf will have Retro look graphics that appeal to a smaller number of fans,no way to approach level design like that of the picture.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:56 pm

I forgot to tell that when you model the grasses and place the plants to groups,make sure the polygons do not intersect anywhere between them because there is a bug that does not render the transparent textured intersecting faces.

Using an edged faces display mode in the window of modelling program will help seeing any intersections between polygons and edges.
And,you have to rotate the grasses to all sides so it will look grassy from all or most sides which makes it more difficult to place closely the carved or not sheet polygons.
It will be easier to make a grass bundle by placing less sheets for each group before you clone and rotate.

Wraps

Post by Wraps » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:45 am

Right before Gekido left for bv/gamecore, he released a level that had the exact same thing you're asking for in it. He did it with flipbooks.