Making Projectiles Like This:

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

Making Projectiles Like This:

Post by metal_head » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:18 pm

I have tried several methods of making this,but none of them worked.
I can't explain exactly what I want to make,but I found this image,on which the projectile can be seen and I want to make my pawns in my game when shooting,the projectile to be like that:
http://static.filefront.com/images/pers ... rfqxtj.jpg
it's some sort of a lazer effect,I tried to make it with a spray effect,but the picture,I put to be as a lazer,was rotating,so that it faces the player...an effect like this would be geat for my game,but I don't know how to do it,I tried with a bolt also,but it wasn't nearly that I want to do.

Danimita92

Re: Making Projectiles Like This:

Post by Danimita92 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:25 pm

No idea, I'd also like to know

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:17 pm

You might be able to do that with the projectile's model. Instead of trying to paint the effect, make a model out of it. Then you could attach a light to it so the shadows and lights in the game world don't affect it (would look dumb if it flew to a dark place and the shadow hid it). That's the best I can think of right now.
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:26 pm

You say I can try making the projectile like a laser?Well,I can,you're right,but when shot,the long projectile will fly like a standart bullet,and it would look like more like a long rocket...maybe I don't understand something right or you ment that?

I was thinking of some sort of particle used for a muzzle flash,which doesn't rote,for example the spray - the image that i used rotates to face the player and if that image can be made not to face the player will do it it think.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:48 pm

metal_head wrote:You say I can try making the projectile like a laser?Well,I can,you're right,but when shot,the long projectile will fly like a standart bullet,and it would look like more like a long rocket...maybe I don't understand something right or you ment that?
Yeah, that's what I meant. And no, it doesn't look very good. :)

Another option would be to use the 'bolt' effect. It's more like a electric bolt though. You could set 'wildness = 0' to make it just a straight line so it's even a bit more like laser. Check the manual for more info. It's under 'Effect.ini'.

Or... if you want the effect only in 1st person weapons you could do it the hard way and manually draw a bitmap animation which would then be displayed on screen.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:19 pm

well,actually I will use this effect to make bullet trails not lazers :D.But If I put a bolt effect for a muzzle flash for a pawn,will it rotate with the pawn,I mean when the pawn shoots downwards,the bolt to point downwards and when shoots upwards the bolt to point upwards.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Well, there's only one way to find out. Test it! Play around with anything you can modify and see what happens. :)

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:30 pm

OK,I will,I asked about with the hope that you know :D now I'll see and tell ya how's it working,earlier I tried to do it with a bolt,but maybe I have done something wrng,because it wasn't very successful.

scott

Post by scott » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:56 am

set the projectiles to really fast rapid shooting, so they move as fast as the game will alow them, have rapid fire on so it shoots a second projectile before the first one has finished, this will give a continous look, and as long as the fire button is held down it will fire in the direction it is facing, because its moving so fast, by the time the character has rotated to any new position it would of colided with something and dissapeard, the only problem i can see with this is the collision detection sometimes fails at high speeds, also dont forget to set the damage atribute of each projectile really really low or else it would just obliterate anything in less than a second. then using juutis's idea of setting the projectile as a light will make sure it wont dissapear in the dark. this could be a frame rate killer but i would imagine it would work.
*GD*

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:40 pm

Thanks,I was thinking abou something like this,but as you said,it's a framerate killer.I'll try it and I'll see which one is better,the bolt effect or this one.

blutwurstchen

Post by blutwurstchen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:23 am

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I have been struggling with something similiar, and wondering if anybody has a solution.

I am trying to create the appearance of a laserbolt projectile like in star wars.

I tried this first with a projectile shaped like a bolt and attaching a light effect to it - but it still looked like a foam dart. I tried this with the bolt effect, but even with wildness switched down to 0, there were bolts flying all over the place.

Finally I tried this with the spray effect. I got the bolt looking reasonable, but now rather than flying with the projectile it flies at a right angle and however I rotated it, it will not point straight away from the character. Is it even possible to do this, or must a bitmap always be parallel to the screenview?

Would really appreciate any help.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Well < I got the same problems as you and I still haven't found a solution :(