F.O.G. (Fog On The Ground :D )

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

F.O.G. (Fog On The Ground :D )

Post by metal_head » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Is it possible to make a the fog appear only on the ground (I can't explain it very good)
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/sc ... een001.jpglook at the down left corner and see how the building fades in fog.I want to make the same effect,because I'm working on a level,where you'll have to jump from building to buildiing (You'll be on their roofs) and I want to for the ground so that way I won't need to make the streets and etc.

Danimita92

Re: F.O.G. (Fog On The Ground :D )

Post by Danimita92 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:16 am

You could put a white floor or something. To make it look like fog, you could add another layer over the floor with an alpha image similar to fog

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:39 am

There's an entity that does that. FogLight IIRC.
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:14 pm

hmm..you think fog light will be cool? I'll try it also I've been thinking of making several layers usiung brushes,but it's not pretty good looking.Btw,there's that game "Firestarter",it uses brushes for that effect...lomething like an empty brush wiith no thexture,inside is filled with fog.

SV2.0

Post by SV2.0 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:06 am

Foglights tend to take a pretty big chunk out of your framerate. I suppose you might try the Flow entity. That might not be the right name, so anyone feel free to correct me, but it's the one usually used for a basic water effect. It basically takes the texture applied to a brush face and makes two semi-transparent layers moving in different directions, making it appear to be a moving fluid. I've used it for a roiling clouds effect before. Just make an empty face at ankle or knee height with the Flow applied to it. Then slow the movement down enough to look "foggy" and set the face to around 30% opacity. The only problem is the edges of the face will look sharp, so it's best used in an area with a sunken floor so the fog fills it like a trough.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:19 am

So does the flow effect (It's an effect in the entity TextureProc) work properly now? I remember it was having problems with opacity, so that there was no opacity.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:46 pm

I've used the Flow proc name in the TextureProc only for water,maybe the best way to do it is to put a lot of transparent brushes ,so that it will look li ke fog,but I'm not sure...I I fall of a building It won't look so well,when I fall through the "fog" :D

scott

Post by scott » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:16 am

its harder work and may not work if you have shadows, but edit your texture at the bottom of all the buildings to fade to a colour you want, then have the floor the same, the only problem with this is if you have shadows or lights then it may effect the floor in unwanted ways, as its just more textures i cant see it being a big frame rate eater, may use some more memory but in most computers theres enough to spare.
*GD*

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:39 am

yeah....hmm that's a hard one...well,maybe I can put an actor or...I don't know...I was thinking of fadeing the textures,but most of my buildngs have a texture,which reeats,so..it won't work,also a lot of the buildings use 2 textures one for the facade and one for the windows,which are cut using cut brushes.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:25 pm

metal_head wrote:yeah....hmm that's a hard one...well,maybe I can put an actor or...I don't know...I was thinking of fadeing the textures,but most of my buildngs have a texture,which reeats,so..it won't work,also a lot of the buildings use 2 textures one for the facade and one for the windows,which are cut using cut brushes.
The buildings could be made into two parts, with a second fading texture would be used on the lower part.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:53 pm

well,yeah,but it gets too complicated and it will kill the framerate,because the level is huge and the buildings are so.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:11 am

metal_head wrote:well,yeah,but it gets too complicated and it will kill the framerate,because the level is huge and the buildings are so.
Just a suggestion. You could break the level into several levels. In the Spiderman game you posted the shot of, the city itself is several different separate levels.

How about a semi transparent brush with a random cloud texture using the eChaos entity to make it swirl like moving fog. Are you going to make it like the Spiderman game, where if someone falls off a building, they lose a life and have to start over?

Kiji8989

Post by Kiji8989 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:44 am

*cant helps it*

My spidy senses are tingling! But I dunno what to do.
(\_/)
(O.o) copy bunny into your signature to
( >< )help him achieve world domination

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 am

going to make it like the Spiderman game, where if someone falls off a building, they lose a life and have to start over?
Actually my game has nothing to do with spiderman (man I remember when I had that PS1 and played that game...sweat memories).I have a big Sci fi city in my game and one of the levels is in the moarning walking on the roofs of the building jumping from building to building and etc. it sounds like spidermand,but actually my game looks more like Unreal Tournament (only that it has a story).I didn't want to see the ground,because that way I'll have to put street lights roads etc. on the ground and they cost framerate and time or them to be made.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:20 am

metal_head wrote:
going to make it like the Spiderman game, where if someone falls off a building, they lose a life and have to start over?
Actually my game has nothing to do with spiderman (man I remember when I had that PS1 and played that game...sweat memories).I have a big Sci fi city in my game and one of the levels is in the moarning walking on the roofs of the building jumping from building to building and etc. it sounds like spidermand,but actually my game looks more like Unreal Tournament (only that it has a story).I didn't want to see the ground,because that way I'll have to put street lights roads etc. on the ground and they cost framerate and time or them to be made.
I didn't think you made a Spiderman game, I just meant 'like' the Spiderman game, where falling of a building would trigger a level restart, so that the 'fog brush' could be set to drain all the users health and force a restart. That's all.