My Buggy Level :D

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

My Buggy Level :D

Post by metal_head »

I got several levels in my game where you are on the top of a vehicle or something,but all the vehicles move straight (because they are helicopters,trains..etc.),but now there's a level I'm planning (and I got all the models and stuff I need to make it) where the player is in a buggy,driven by a his friend.The player will just have to shoot all the bad guys,who are trying to destroy the buggy.OK,but I havve two poblems:
The buggy won't be going only straight,it will turn left and right and sometimes,stop.All the other levels with vehicles were simple,because I just made an aniated terrain,and tyhe vehicles were standing still giving the player the illusion that the vehicle is moving.This time (because the buggy will have to turn left and right) I guess,I'll have to make the buggy move.But that's not simple:I'll have to attatch somehow the player to the buggy and forbid the player to move (and I don't have an idea how o do it).
The vehicle will somethimes have to stop,so the player will have to shoot all the bad guys and than when he kills all of them the buggy to continue moving...and I think that can be only done with scripting and I don't have the skills required yet.
Also,when the vehicle turns,the player will have to turn with the vehicle...
I was thinking of attatching the buggy model to an animated model or make the buggy a Path Follower...but I think none of theese ideas will help here.

If you have any suggestions,please let's talk about it :D

BTW,the buggy looks like it's the buggy from HALO or Unreal Tournament,well...it's not :D it's completely different model :)
Attachments
MF_buggy.JPG
(247.4 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Matte

Re: My Buggy Level :D

Post by Matte »

ö is that glock from CS?
Well, I wont tell anyone!! :)
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

well,many games have golck pistols,it's not from CS and if it was :D no body would know because they all look the same :D ...but the hands are from Half Life Natural Selection....also the joints I think...but the animations are mine :)
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

That's not true....you just told us. :? It's wrong to steal...it's even worse if you get caught.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

I don't think that's a problem...the glock is downloaded from Turbosquid and I got new textures for the hands,so the only think that will remain from this model is the hands (not even arms just hands) and the joints,which I'm not even sure if they are from the original model or are added later by another person. But enough for the models (also the rest of the weapon models are bought with my money)let's see how this level could be done :) ...any ideas?
Destron

Post by Destron »

I'm pretty sure that's not the glock from CS. If it is, they re-skinned it and messed with the actual model a bit.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

Yes,Destron it's not the glock from CS :) ! Here,for all you guys who think I've stolen this from the game (which I don't like :D),here's the link for the model:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/204360the model is like on he picture (two pistols and bullets arround them,I deleted the bullets and the other pistol.Here's counterstrike's glock:http://www.freewebs.com/csbomberman/glock.jpg

Now,I really need that buggy thing...if someone has done something like this before,please give me a hand.Somehow I have to get the player attatched to the vehicle and the vehicle moving...no idea how to do it and the hard part is with the stopping thing when the buggy stops and you have to kill some bad guys and when you're done,than the bugy starts moving again.Juutis is busy with his studies right now,so he won't be able to help with the scripting (and he doesn't have to) is there a way to avoid the scripting and make all this using entities in the world editor?
Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx »

metal_head wrote:but the hands are from Half Life Natural Selection....also the joints I think...but the animations are mine :)
Ai, I'm part of the dev crew of Sven Co-op, another HL modification. I happen to know that the NS crew is very protective about their content.

NOTHING may be used, not even for half-life maps/mods. However, we have permission to use the textures, after corresponding with them. And we may only use it to make NS themed maps for SC. Nothing else.

I'm pretty sure they DON'T approve of you using their models. You would not want to see your hard work stolen and used for something else, do you?

I'm not judging you, I'm just very protective of my own work and thus don't like ppl steeling others work as well.

If you don't have the skills, learn it!
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

ok,ok I'll make another model for the hands! :)
...This topic better be moved to modelers corner,I'll rename the title as "Is it OK to use half life NS hands model" ,eh?
I promise,I'll hange everything,now can someone help me for what I asked for,I don't want to be mean or something (and I'm not),but I really need some help about this!
creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey »

metal_head im not sure what you want, but if you need your buggy to follow a path and turn at predifined points, I may be albe to help.
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

I need my player to be attatched to the buggy and yes,the buggy to follow a path and sometimes stop,so the player can kill some enemies and when he kills them,the buggy to continiue following the path...but no idea how to do it...
creekmonkey

Post by creekmonkey »

I used somethimg similar to this for a vehicle that ran on a track. It may not be exact i dont have the script in front of me

SD [speed]
ACC [acceleration]
BRK [brakespeed]

move_buggy[() //LowLevel

{

self.ThinkTime=0;

CD=self.current_yaw;

if(IsKeyDown(46)) //accelerate
{
if(SD <0)
{

SD=SD+ACC;

walkmove(CD, SD );
}

else
{

if(SD >0)
{
if(IsKeyDown(46) = false) //slow down
{
SD=SD-ACC;

walkmove(CD, SD )
}

}
}
}

if(IsKeyDown(41)) //brake
{
if(SD >0)
{
SD=SD-BRK;
walkmove(CD, SD );
}

}

//get distance to pawn
//place a pawn where you want the buggy to turn

if(GetDistanceTo("dummyy") < 15)

{

HighLevel("TurnRight");

}
}

TurnRight[()
{
RotateMove(WALK, SD / 2, SD, 0 , 90, 0, "" );
LowLevel("Init");
}]

From the manual
//RotateMove(char *Animation, float RotationSpeed, float Speed, float AngleX , oat AngleY, float AngleZ, char *Sound );

To keep the player in position you could add to your LowLevel Command
PlayerToPosition(float OffsetX, float OffsetY, float OffsetZ, bool Flag, bool Flag );
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

I'm so bad at explanations sometimes.THe buggy has to move itself so it would look that the person next to you is driving (te person will be a part of the model).The player has to be attatched inside the vehicle and somehow I have to forbid the player to move,so it will look like he's sitting. :)
Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx »

Well, dunno if it is possible to have so called 'sub models' (multiple meshes and skins in one model), like in half-life. If so, you can make two bodies for the buggy. One with just one dude, and one with your player inside as well.

Not familiar with scripting, so I don't know how you set this all up.
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing
metal_head

Post by metal_head »

'sub models' ,hmm..haven't heard of this ..