Blend?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

Blend?

Post by metal_head » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:46 am

Guys, I found something that I want to ask you about. Not sure what it is, or how it's done, but if RF supports it(though I've never seen it in a game, made with RF), it would be really, really useful to me!

Sooo, take a look at the first uploaded image ("light"). See how everything's dark, and only a light in the wall is birhgt. You'll now say: "you van do this with a brush with "Full Bright" set for one of it's faces, but here, no other brushes are used (game made with FPSC). This is only a straight wall.
light.jpg
(194.68 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
A little bit later, I was looking at one of the texture sets in "Wadfather" and I found something that may be related to this. It was a texture of a light it had a little bit long name, so let's just say it was named "light.bmp" ok, but next to it, there was another texture only with the light drwan (the onther one had metal arround it and stuff, this one was only light on a black background) and it was called "light_blend.bmp"
light_texture.jpg
light_texture.jpg (5.9 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Sooo, what is this and does RF support it?

zany_001

Re: Blend?

Post by zany_001 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:25 am

I'm guessing it is some sort of specular mapping or similiar, that causes one part of the texture to be brighter than the rest of the texture/wall. I believe RF can do it, but I'll have to dig around, as I haven't got RF installed on this computer.

Is the wall actually casting light? Or does that bit of the wall just look brighter?
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:11 pm

It's just like you said, it's someting that makes part of the texture be on full bright, the wall isn't actually causing any light, just the part with the light is on fullbright, I have this texture in my game too, but I dunno what can be making it look brighter.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:21 pm

No, you can't use this texture in the way it's meant to be used in RF. You would either have to use a separate brush set to fullbright or a walldecal entity (also full bright). Both options won't cast any light.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:06 pm

too bad, but wall decal can also be an option, the only problem is that I can't see how I've placed it until I compile and run the game.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:21 pm

What about making the face which has the texture have the light attribute and then use radiosity lighting (only works with radiosity lighting)?
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:12 pm

amm, sorry I'm just little stupid, but what did you mean by this:
What about making the face which has the texture have the light attribute
what is a "light attribute" ?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:44 pm

When you go to the face attributes, there is a check box entitled 'Light'. If you turn it on, the face will radiate light in the intensity given by the input field next to the checkbox (I don't remember it too well and on this computer i don't have RF) This 'radiation' only works when you turn on radiosity in the compile options.

I realize i might have put myself a bit unclear, it was a quick thought, and so i wrote it down quickly.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:30 pm

Oh, I gotta try it! :mrgreen: