Jungle ideas?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Danimita92

Jungle ideas?

Post by Danimita92 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:58 am

Hi everybody. As some of you may know, my game is set on a tropical island. In this island, there are many trees. I obviously can't use hundreds of tree actors because the fps will drop right down. I've been using a mixture of actors and foliage to make the palm trees and vegetation but the results aren't that impressive. Especially how when the camera looks up, so do the trees!

What way would you recommend making a jungle?

metal_head

Re: Jungle ideas?

Post by metal_head » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Cry Engine can make jungles look awesome...but that's cry engine :lol:
I was also wondering about that type of level...
Maybe you can make Actor Level Of Detal distances, or use fliptrees for the actors. Foliage....well that's more likely to use for gras and bushes, trees look awful when they rotate like hell :D

Hey, I uploaded some plant models for you (I'm using them in my game) It's the same model, but with different textures, it's really low poly and looks cool, I hope they can help you for the jungle. Here They Are

I also wanna hear some tips for making that type of level, because it would be cool to have something like this in Metal Force :)

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Use sprites for small far away trees. You also might want to use a skybox that has trees in it to simulate a vast forest.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:11 am

Woods are probably one of the most difficult tasks in RF. First, there's no way to make a large open/explorable jungle with the current engine. You must force the player on predefined paths (use sunken lanes, brushes, rocks, felled trees etc.). Along the paths try to make ~2 rows of modelled trees then use sheet brushes or flipbooks and behind that just use a brush with a jungle texture. If possible split up the jungle into several levels and hide the transition in dark caves or something like that ... That's how I would go about it.

Danimita92

Post by Danimita92 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Yeah, that's what I was doing, but still, I would like yo appreciate some 3d in the woods. I don't just wante two walls of green. BTW I keep hearing about the "sheet" option. What does it actually do?

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:11 pm

Well, I gess that it's a shee brush wit ha TGA texture of trees/bushes. I'll be making a level that is just a radio tower (or something) surrounded by forest, and the forest will be made only of sheet brushes, I'll show you how's it going when I get it started :)