That fog thing (again)

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

That fog thing (again)

Post by metal_head » Fri May 08, 2009 5:24 pm

Hey guys, I'm having ba little problem. Remember that topic "F.O.G. (fog on the gorund)" I posted? Well, it's something similar. I'm working on a winter level, part of the level is a canyon, where you walk on metal platforms on the upper side of the canyon (so you're in the air :D). The canyon isn't straight and it's created with Nem's Terrain generator. The level isn't using fog (and I don't want to use it, because this level is semi - outdoor, semi - indoor), but I want to some how blur the bottom ofthe canyon, which actually is marked as SKY and it's absolutely white.

SO what I did:
I decided to create a fog effect using brushes, I was half way ready when I decided to test it, but I didn't like the results:
The framerate was awful and some of the faces of the brushes weren't visible til I get close to them... here's a screen:
fog_illusion.jpg
(62.54 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
I tried to make it with an actor also, but the invisible face bug was even more bothering (at least the framerate was OK)

So what do you suggest? I need to make that illusion, and painting the rocks in white in the bottom of the canyon is not an option this time :(