Doors?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Exploration

Doors?

Post by Exploration » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm

As my game is a sci-fi theme, how do you get doors to work? Not the standard pivot ones, but ones the slide open and closed. I know that there is an entity called door but how do you use it? I have tried but, again, like my countdown timer it fails to work :( .

Please help! It means a lot to me!

jamieo01

Re: Doors?

Post by jamieo01 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:47 pm

I also had this problem a while ago, first click on the models tab and select the brush you want to use as the door. You then have to press add model and type in a name. Then you need to click on animate and move the door in the direction you want it to move then press stop and type the key frame. Repeat untill you get the desired movement. You then need to click on the door entity and choose the model you just made you should then have a door. You can play with the options to make it react how you want it to I hope this helps.

gamerfan

Post by gamerfan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:48 am

can you just tell me how to add a door between the rooms.I am quiete new to game making.

Thanks

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:14 am

Please don't post the same problem in someone elses topic, this is knowm as hijacking. We WILL help, although it may take longer than an hour XD.

Also. Welcome to the forums!!!!!
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:00 pm

gamerfan: Download the e-book and read it also read the manual its all in there.

JordanZimm

Post by JordanZimm » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:00 am

sorry for necroposting:P just out of curiosity jamieo01, what exactly is the key time? i am trying to make a door of a similar style and its asking me for key time and i have no idea what to type in.

jamieo01

Post by jamieo01 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:31 pm

The key time is like a key frame of the door opening you would set the positions of how it would open I don't have RFEdit on me at the mo as i'm at college so I can't be sure but if you have any more problems just ask I have been thinking of doing a series of video tutorials for basic things people are having trouble with will post on the forums if I do a door tutorial will be the first

JordanZimm

Post by JordanZimm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:59 am

ty for the help. however; a new problem has come up. when the door opens(slides up) it goes down a little bit first. this is not a huge problem other than that it affects the visual appeal of the game. the same thing happens when i make an elevator, but it is severe enough that it forces the character out of the elevator when it goes(down) almost completley through the floor.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:37 am

You must add additional keyframes, that are always 0.01 after the one you really want.

So if your elevator goes like this:

0.00 - 1st level
3.00 - 2nd level
6.00 - 1st level again

you would make it
0.00 - 1st level
0.01 - 1st level AGAIN (just push the set keyframe button once more)
3.00 - 2nd level
3.01 - 2nd level again
6.00 - 1st level
6.01 - 1st level again (i don't know if this one is really needed)

Why this works:
I think the editor/engine tries to somehow make the transition smoother between the frames - so that it first begins to move, then gets faster, then gets slower... and by adding the additional keyframes you help it recognize the ones that are important.
But i don't know for sure, so that could be totally wrong.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

JordanZimm

Post by JordanZimm » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:16 pm

i would never have thought to do that, ty. im going to go try again XD

Thunder_Rat6

Post by Thunder_Rat6 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:46 pm

gamerfan wrote:can you just tell me how to add a door between the rooms.I am quiete new to game making.

Thanks
how to add just an empty doorframe is all covered in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnKlTbDUH74