That crash is really keeping me away from finnishing my game

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

That crash is really keeping me away from finnishing my game

Post by metal_head » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:17 pm

I got a spaceship model, that is about 2700 polys, first time I tried to put it in the editor via a StaticEntityProxy, ok, but when I refreshed, soI can see the mesh in the editor, RFEditPro crashed, than I tried tho make it a Static Mesh, same thing, finally I made it a Pawn and used a script to make the ship move, but while working with the editor, the model path in Pawn ini has to be renamed from ship.act to ship1.act or something, so that the mesh doesn't appear in the editor, otherwise the editor crashes :( I rename the model back after I've compiled the level, but now I need the mesh to be visible in the editor and have no clue how to fix this, the model's in the models folder (no sub directories), I've managed to put models that are 3000 polys and more in the editor and I've had no problem, but this ship model... I just got no idea, can you guys help me?

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: That crash is really keeping me away from finnishing my game

Post by Jay » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:27 pm

I know that crash, and i never found a way around it, other than changing the actor directory to a path that does not exist (so no actors are shown in the level editor). I think this is a bug and you cannot do something about it. If somebody knows a workaround, i would be glad to know it too.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:53 am

Too bad, I needed to be able to view the mesh in the editor, because I was making the Intro cutscene, it's going pretty well, but I got that part when a spaceship is attacked and another one collides with it, but now I don't know how to make the camera move, since I can't see the mesh, I needed the camera to float arround the ship :D

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:35 pm

Would it be possible to make another model with just the rough size of the ship but much less poly's and use that as a temporary entity for use in the editor only until you sort the camera etc then replace it with the real thing when you have got all the other stuff sorted?

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Great idea! I'll try it right away and post back if it's working. The thing is that I got character models that are even more than 4000 polys and there's no problem for them,but the spaceship doesn't exceed 2800 (as I remember) and RF Crashes..really strange.... Anyway, I'll try it now and tell ya if it's working, thanks :)

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:33 pm

AWESOME, it didn't work :lol: . I reduced the polys to 2113 (strange, but the directX mesh tools didn't allow more). Ah, one more thing, the model firstly was in .X format, this is it: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/I ... /ID/203042 OK, it's 2834 polys, my bad, but still, I got a lot more high - poly models imported in RFEdit and there's no problem for them...

EDIT: Also when I imported the model, there was a little problem with the textures, the textures on some faces weren't correctly offseted.

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Good workaround, bernie, thanks! :) Hadn't even thought of that!
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Yeah, but that doesn't work for me :(, maybe it's somthing other that the polys, I reduced the model by completely deliting parts of it, making it 800 polys, and still RF crahsed, dunno :(

The workaroud is really good though, but just for that model it doesn't work...I'll try replacing the model with a box model, the same size as the shop model, though it's not really precise but at least it's some shape :D