What is wrong with my game.

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

What is wrong with my game.

Post by metal_head » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:09 pm

My first level is consisted of 3 sub-levels...but on each of them I got the same problem:
when I hit escape, the game doesn't return me to the menu, everything just stops mooving (like I've paused it), the musc and the sounds keep playing, but I can't do nothing...to exit my game then I gotta press Ctr + Alt + Del and disable RF through the task manager :(

Also I got this problem with the screen fading, which somehow I feel has the same reason as the escape button malfunction:
when I exit a level, the screen is supposed to fade slowly, I made a script that detects if a trigger has been activated and then starts the low level fade command, every 0.05 seconds the script adds +3 to the fill screen area, but one day when I triggered the trigger, instead of fading, the screen turned immediately to black, then there was a delay - the order was still in action and when the fill screen area command reached 100%, the game returned me to the menu...the screen should be fading, but instead it turns black immediately and than after some delay, I get back to the menu...the fade thing was working...just one day it stopped working :( ...I can even post the screen so you gus can see that there's nothing wrong with it, I'm 100 % sure.

Juutis

Re: What is wrong with my game.

Post by Juutis » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:25 pm

I've had the same problem with the FillScreenArea() command (that's the one you're using, right?). I have no idea what causes it let alone how to fix it. Every time I've encountered it, it's just gone away on it's own. You could try changing the video options, I guess.

Do you have the ESC-problem in other levels than those three? Does the RF demo work?
Pain is only psychological.

metal_head

Re: What is wrong with my game.

Post by metal_head » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:45 am

Yeah, I'm using the fill screen command, but this is happening from about 2 months and hasn't gone away yet, I've been working a lot on the levels I got this effect on, but this keeps appearing, here's the script:

Code: Select all

{
SCREENFILL [0]

Spawn[ ()
{
Console(true);
LowLevel("Exit");
} ]

Exit[ ()
{
self.ThinkTime = 0.05;

if(GetEventState("exit"))
{
SCREENFILL = SCREENFILL + 2.5;
FillScreenArea(0,true,SCREENFILL,0,0,0);
if(SCREENFILL>=255)
{
HighLevel("GetOut");
}
}
} ]

GetOut[ ()
{
Delay("", 1, "");
SetEventState("end", true);
} ]
}
The trigger "exit" should be on in order for this to work, I could do an order change after the Geteventstate check, so the the effect won't be affected if the trigger goes off, but never mind, it works this way, I've tried it on other levels and everything's ok.