Making a door that opens and closes on demand

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Jay
RF Dev Team

Making a door that opens and closes on demand

Post by Jay » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:00 pm

I wanted to make doors that can open/close on demand. I mean, pull lever and it opens then again pulling the lever and it closes again, and then opening, closing,...

I see the TimeList feature and so far it works good. BUT I don't know how to make it repeat at the end. So far i got it to open, and then close again. I used bShoot for now to test how it works and will add the lever later. The problem is it stops at the end of the TimeList (1.00 is open, 2.00 is closed). How do i get it to repeat it at the end?

Here are the entity attributes:
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

metal_head

Re: Making a door that opens and closes on demand

Post by metal_head » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Yeah, I have the same problem with an elevator moving platform, I wanted to go to the next floor when I press a button and than if I press the button again, to get back down, but like you I couldn't make it repeat :(

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: Making a door that opens and closes on demand

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Ok i found a solution:

One must use the MovingPlatform entity. First animate the model and make sure your to use equal time steps - like 0.00 which is high, 1.00 which is middle, 2.00 which is low, then 3.00 which is middle again, and 4.00 which is high again.

Then in the MovingPlatform entity, set bLooping to true, and also set bRunTimed to true. Then set TimeEachTrig to 1.00, as this is the time your steps are apart. Then you have a platform that you can trigger endlessly.

That also worked with the door i made. But i also think i found a bug: When bShoot is on and bNoCollide is off, shooting a model triggers it, IF IT IS A DOOR ENTITY, but if it is a MovingPlatform entity it is NOT triggered. Then, when the level ends, RF ends with a crash if you did shoot at the MovingPlatform. This does not occur when the MovingPlatform does not have the bShoot field checked.

EDIT: It may be possible that bLooping also works with the TimeList feature, but i have not tested it.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----