[ERROR] Missing Data in Inventory

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:02 pm

OK guys, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I don't think it should be in the bug section.
So I was working on the Metal Force demo, I have to present it on the big computer convention in wednesday, but suddenly something went wrong. I ran RF and it crashed after the level loading screen, the log file shows:
Initializing Foliage Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Tree Manager Subsystem...
Initializing PWXImage Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Shadow Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Decal Manager Subsystem...
Initializing WallDecal Manager Subsystem...
Initializing LevelController Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Attribute Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Explosion Manager Subsystem...
Initializing Explosion Subsystem...
Initializing ChangeLevel Manager Subsystem...
Initializing ScreenShake Subsystem...
Initializing ViewSwitch Subsystem...
Initializing Inventory Subsystem...
I tough it's because the inventory.ini, although I don't use the inventory in my game and I have neve even opened that file. Well I replaced it with another from a fresher RF copy, but nothing changed.
Can you guys please help me out fast? I have a deadline and I have 3 days left :(

zany_001

Re: [ERROR] Missing Data in Inventory

Post by zany_001 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 am

It sounds like the main RF has been corrupted. Try install a new copy of RF in a new folder, and move all your media and edited files over. Actually, first, replace the exe's for your editor and main RF maybe (make backup copies of the whole game first)
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:38 am

I tried replacing the exe with another one, also I took my backup copy (from 3 days ago) and put my current files in it - still the same problem. I really don't know what's it.... the backup itself works fine, so I came to the tough that it could be something in the install/media folders, but what?! the log doesn't show any [WARNING] messages for missing or corrupted files and the inventory.ini in the install folder should be fine - I replaced it with a copy from a freshly installed RF...

EDIT:
Oh, one more thing! I noticed that the log file doesn't always show [ERROR] Missing Data in Inventory - sometimes it ends with:
Initializing Explosion Manager Subsystem...
or with:
Initializing ScreenShake Subsystem...
or even with:
Initializing Inventory Subsystem...

With no [WARNING] or [ERROR] report at the end...

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:01 am

Does the backup work? You may have to use the backup, and quickly redo anything changed from the last 3 days.
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:11 am

Well that's an awful lot of work to do, I said that the backup works. Dunno if I can't fix this, I'll have do it the redo way :(
I just hope QoD sees this till the end of the day, cuz maybe he would know what's the problem. I just don't understand that error message...what type of data, which file? The last thing I did before this problem occoured was adding an effect in effect.ini and than editing a scripted weapon script.... :cry:

metal_head

Post by metal_head » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:24 pm

(double post, sorry) It's OK guys, Juutis helped me solve the problem. I deleted the effect.ini and explosion.ini and replaced them with the ones from my backup copy and it worked!