Quick and Easy Terrain, fps friendly

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
animatrix

Quick and Easy Terrain, fps friendly

Post by animatrix » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:14 pm

I made a half shell model, hollow on bottom in milkshape, exported it to RF as a 3dt, put it in prefab folder.
The prefab gets treated just like a brush, you can stretch and scale and adjust texture ect. I know RF makes a brush for each curve and section when you export a terrain from milkshape, and it makes fps slow. these dont have that problem and no bothering with static mesh. JUST MAKE SURE, that your prefab shell goes a few texels beneath the floor on bottom to seal it. check screenies
Ani :)

Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: Quick and Easy Terrain, fps friendly

Post by Jay » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Hm that's interesting. I never did it that way - i normally slice the model into parts and add them as a StaticMesh. In my current level i have a 8K poly (64x64) model sliced into 16 parts - 512 per part (16x16). It renders fast on my pc and the collision detection is also fast enough. (I use StaticMeshes). I just dread the day when i have to modify it. Your technique seems easier at this, though i am not sure how much it affects the framerate when going from StaticMeshes.
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----

zany_001

Post by zany_001 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:24 am

I think you used triangles already, but just for the others, you might want to read this tutorial also: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4133
Once I was sad, and I stopped being sad and was awesome instead.
True story.

madness

Post by madness » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:33 pm

How exactly did you make the 3dt model a prefab in the editor? It's what I'm trying to do right now. You mentioned something about a "prefab" folder which I can't find in my installation. Please let me know as soon as you can.
Thanks,
Madness
Somewhere in Nevada...

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon May 03, 2010 4:49 pm

The path for the prefab folder is defined in the editor's ini file (located in the tools folder). By default the prefab folder for RFEditPro should be named "objects" and placed in the "media" folder.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun May 09, 2010 7:58 am

It is surely much much faster with these brushes.
Some additional tips:I note that staticmeshes collision is slow even when you split the mesh in smaller parts ,because practically
on each piece might be a pawn walking on ,or standing so all terrain pieces test collision.

Unless you plan to restrict pawns to certain terrain pieces only,static mesh collision does nt get optimized by using more mesh pieces.

The bsp brush for collision is reliable,almost always flag the brushes as clip otherwise if you flag the collision as transparent textured, the staticmesh cant render correctly.

I personally prefer to make triangle meshes,or four sided extruded splines,vertex edit them and import as .map and flag them as clip.

Where ever i want the view to be blocked,like corners and obstacles i carefully first vertex edit the brushes to be smaller than the staticmesh )no intersection) and completely concealed by the bigger staticmesh,and when i import these brushes i set them to be transparent.
This way the enemy pawns cant see you when you are behind these brushes.

Whatever collision brushes are much bigger than the actuall terrain and you dont want them to receive stencil shadows,turn them to a world model.