Going down stairs

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
IndigoWraithe

Going down stairs

Post by IndigoWraithe »

okay, so I searched the forum, looked through various tutorials, and thus far, no matter what I do, my character cannot go down stairs to save his life. He simply falls a few times to the bottom. The stairs are 192 tx hi and 196 tx long with 12 steps. he goes up fine, but not down. How do I get him to go down the stairs? I have tried messing with the gravity and slope attributes in the environment setup, but to no avail. any help is greatly appreciated, thx.
Jay
RF Dev Team

Re: Going down stairs

Post by Jay »

Make the brush an 'empty' brush (to disable collision), then provide the collision with a ramp the same size as the stairs brush. Mark that ramp brush as 'clip' so it isn't drawn, but used for collision. Then the characters will move smoothly over the stairs.

To make the ramp brush, you can use the stairs template with 'Make Ramp' checked.

Hope this helps.
And welcome to the forums. :)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----
IndigoWraithe

Post by IndigoWraithe »

he doesn't go down ramps any better. he goes up without a hitch, but whether it is a stair or a ramp, when i try to have him go down the stairs/ramp, he just leaps down two or three times. i tried just replacing the stairs with ramps, but it changed nothing. he goes up fine, he comes down like he's jumping off a ledge. i can't seem to open any of the demo levels, because when i do they all load with empty entities, so I can't look at them to figure out what i'm doing wrong.
Veleran

Post by Veleran »

Have you also tried a transparent empty brush of zero gravity?I am not sure this will be bug free or if you might fly a bit.
QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams »

i can't seem to open any of the demo levels, because when i do they all load with empty entities, so I can't look at them to figure out what i'm doing wrong.
viewtopic.php?p=1175#p1175

Increasing the gravity should fix the problem.
IndigoWraithe

Post by IndigoWraithe »

thanks for all the info, guys. i had to jack the gravity way up for it to work correctly, but now i have no problems with the stairs.
paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj »

You really should read the e-book before you start something on your own. It explains from start to finish, how to create a game using RF. It also explains most of these settings you are asking about.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....
IndigoWraithe

Post by IndigoWraithe »

thing is i have read the ebook, and the rf help file and several tutorials here and the faq. i have spent probably somewhere around an hour and a half every day this week searching the forum for help with various tasks. i may be new to RF but not to game making in general or scripting. the problem with the ebook is that it more or less just says, "put this and this and leave them at the default" for a lot of things. Which is fine, since the level you create in the eBook has no stairs and is a typical shooter, but I'm not going for that. I am trying something a little different. the problem is, I keep hitting various walls because there isn't a tutorial for everything. There's plenty to help you get from total ignorance to a basic/intermediate understanding of what RF is, how it works and what it is capable of, but after you get to that point, you end up more or less on your own. Before I post, I do everything I can to solve the problem on my own, because I don't want to waste my time or anybody else's, but if I can't figure it all out on my own, then I ask for help. I had tried increasing the gravity several times, but i saw no change in gameplay, so I thought maybe i needed to do something else or was missing something, so I asked. thus far, I have managed to figure out a great deal all on my own, but some of this is way above my understanding. when i can't seem to make heads or tails of what i'm doing wrong, I ask you guys who have been doing this for alot longer than I have.