Face-per-Face lighting?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
GMer

Face-per-Face lighting?

Post by GMer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:34 pm

How in reality factory would I have an actor (for use as scenery, not animated) be illuminated by a light according per face, and not be totally illuminated when the light passes over only the origin of the model?
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Veleran

Re: Face-per-Face lighting?

Post by Veleran » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:06 am

The staticmesh does this.If you place a light above a terrain staticmesh you ll notice that the faces nearest to the light are much brighter.
A new sunlight entity that could illuminate both bsp and actors would be handy.This way there would be no light falloff.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:36 am

The sunlight entity should be able to illuminate a static mesh, however, you need to make the skybox (which you need for the sunlight entity to work at all) large enough so it does not collide with the rays of light (it's a PITA to exclude the skybox from collision detection and hence it's not implemented yet).

Edit:
Probably I should metion that the lighting of static mesh entities is only for static lights.

GMer

Post by GMer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:43 pm

Doesn't work with dynamic spotlights though... :(
All well, I can work around that.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:03 pm

You still need to add a second standard light for the pawns and staticentities and that light will cast rays spherically instead of one direction only -not to mention it ll also have a falloff and you need to set the light radius to 30000 to have all pawns and staticentities lit the same.

I dont complain, i just say what you usually have to do in big outdoor levels.

GMer

Post by GMer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:52 pm

Good thing I'm not doing large outdoor levels then.
My game is going to have Pandorum-stype environments (except without the ooga people).