how to make custom brushes

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
olson523

how to make custom brushes

Post by olson523 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:00 am

hello sorry for my n00b question but here goes. i am trying to make a level with hills and mountains as opposed to just walls or a flat ground. i can't figure out a way to do this besides making many flat, rectangular brushes that fit together at different angles and make what appears to be hills. it's very time-consuming and im thinking there must be an easier way to do this?

Allanon

Re: how to make custom brushes

Post by Allanon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:23 am

You can make your terrain in a modeling program then export it to a .ACT file then use a StaticMesh entity in the RFEditPro editor to place the terrain model.

Or there is a program called gensurf.exe in the tools folder that will allow you to make custom terrain and save it as a .map file. You can then open that .map file in the RFEditPro editor. Since RFEditPro can read Quake map files you can use any Quake terrain map generator software that outputs .map files.

You can also use Milkshape to create some terrain and export it as a .3dt file which then can be imported in to the RFEditPro editor. You can even create a new folder called objects in the media folder and place your .3dt files in there and they will show up in the prefab templates box in the editor making them easier to import.

Search this message board using the keywords "terrain" or "StaticMesh" and you will find a lot more information.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:40 am

Welcome to the forum! In my opinion, the best way, to generate a terrain, is using terragen (TerrainGenerator), which you can download here:

http://terragen.en.softonic.com/

Have fun! :wink:

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:58 pm

see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4205&hilit=terrain
This is terrain i made using l3dt. Seems to be the best way to do terrain in RF

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:42 pm

I just tried l3dt, and it doesn't work for me... I downloaded latest Standard version (2.9) from their home-page, when I tried to export to Obj or 3DS, it just crashed. I got the "Send-Error-Report-Error". So I downloaded 2.8, but same thing. :roll:

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Export as heightmap (png) and export the texture from l3dt. Import those into T2 (also free) build your terrain in there and spilit it into smaller parts T2 does that extremely well and also splits the texture at the same time. T2 will then export those as 3ds files. You can then convert those using Equity into .act files and build the whole thing up in RF as static meshes. The seams show a bit if you scale the player down the 1/10th its normal size but the terrain will look quite big in RF. The pics in that other thread show what it looks like. That terrain was build up by splitting into 16 parts in T2 and building in RF from 16 act files. Takes time but its worth it in the end.