.tga problemness

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
GMer

.tga problemness

Post by GMer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:24 pm

I have a transparent texture applied to a tree model, but when I look at said texture, it looks like so:
There are other tree parts behind, but they don't render for some funny reason (indicated by the red arrows)
So is it my graphics card or what?
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Gamemaker

Re: .tga problemness

Post by Gamemaker » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:17 pm

I'm having the same problem, I guess it's not fixable and it's Genesis's fault. But maybe i'm not right, but I guess I am. I left my problem there. :wink:

Take-a-look at here:

download/file.php?id=1125

You can clearly see that white border there! 8) 8) 8)

GMer

Post by GMer » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Well, at least if the game play is focused on the ground instead of up in the trees the player's won't notice. Or you cheat like so:

I used brushes with dimensions of 256x256x1 with a foliage texture applied, and made all but the two side faces flagged sky.
Hope that helps you out, Gamemaker!
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks, but I didn't made my tree-leaves(?) as level geometry. I modelled them in 3DS max with one cilinder and 4-planes. I had to double them, because Genesis supports only one-sided polygons. :)

GMer

Post by GMer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:49 pm

I thought so. Just with using world geometry to make the foliage the results look a little nicer, e.g. not having genesis 3d trying to optimize what you don't want optimized.

Gamemaker

Post by Gamemaker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:04 pm

GaMer, you do mean something like smoothing?

GMer

Post by GMer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:46 pm

From my understanding what is going on with making transparent actors is that when the clipping code wasn't written with transparent textures in mind. No one has gotten around to fixing it in the source code, so it will clip "through" (pardon the term) the polygons. More polygons would mean less of it, but the code for world geometry was written with transparent textures in mind, so using brushes gives better results.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:25 am

I dont know if it has a connection,but i noticed when you place two static entities for test -character and his armor -in the same location,the thin parts of the armor that are close to the character skin-even noe touching-
are rendered transparent in some parts as you change distance from it.
When you use one static entity with the character and armor attached before export/actor build-
it renders well.
It might be that there s a rendering confusion between two different meshes very close.