Static Mesh per face vis check.

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
GMer

Static Mesh per face vis check.

Post by GMer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:01 am

There is something I'm wondering. Before I actually do it I would like to see if it is theoretically possible first though.
What if I have a 10,000 poly model (and environment, e.g. caves, or a town) and use it as a static mesh, with "VisCheckLevel" = 2 and "ColCheckLevel" = 2, so that the player will collide per face, and the model will only be rendered per face. Would the faces be checked also with the clipping plane in the enviromentsetup entity? (And I'd have a realy long export time from gmax, huh?)
Any advice would be appreciated.
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Veleran

Re: Static Mesh per face vis check.

Post by Veleran » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 am

Vis check per face is very slow,i dont recommend it for 10k actors.
I know what you mean,i have made only a simple town square and that only is 3500 faces,imagine a whole town.
Better split it in north south etc if it will be ok.
Some houses absolutely need to be clipped otherwise it ll be slow.
Use fog to hide the missing houses.

The only way to run levels in rf with normal framerate is making everything very low poly and triangulated,
and add more to the textures.

If you always can see a part of it from close you cant use lod for faster rendering.
when the whole town is seen the houses must be very low poly.

In old max and gmax you cant optimize models and keep the uvw.

I have abandoned the skydome because it drops the framerate alot because of the polycount of the skydome.
Skydome does nt get clipped however and always is a burden to the rendering.
I mean rf can t handle 10k per model fast enough.

You can make a pretty town if you use several textures per house-see neverwinter nights or ddo (dungeons and dragons online)
the use horizontal strips per dungeon wall or house , usually with a marquee on bottom and top/
The marquee is easy to make and render at the front viewport and paste it later.

I mention these games because they re old enough -from 2006, to give as an example.

GMer

Post by GMer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Aha, I figured so much :(
I remember the "House of Shadows" demo the terrain was split into several parts. Guess I'll just have to do that, though it is a pain getting the parts to line up.
I could never figure out how to use LOD... time to experiment I suppose.
Which neverwinter nights are you referring to, Veleran? Because I have the first one puttering around on my computer somewhere...
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Mostly Nwn 1 from 2002.RF is similar with games published in 1998-2001,the difference is the bigger textures we may use.
Whatever game has 3d hardware acceleration is usually faster than rf even if it is from 2002.

The only way to work the graphics with rf is to use lower poly lod and use more rich textures.

The Lod can be done either by
1.optimizing the high poly base actor,or
2.make the lowest poly first -like a _LOD2 or _LOD3 and add a modifier or something to it to edit it and smooth some corners ,curves etc.

Making lod ussauly is done by optimizing the higher poly,but
if you dont have something to optimize that also keeps the UVW mapping,better leave this option.

Next method is 2.Like having an arched bridge lower poly,and add extra vertices or edges to smooth the bridge curve.
The ways to model lod varry and you have to experiment a little and pick the easiest and better way.Thats all about modelling anyway.

GMer

Post by GMer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Veleran wrote: The only way to work the graphics with rf is to use lower poly lod and use more rich textures.
That's what I've figured out. My game won't be a fps, but instead a 3rd person hacko-slasho-button-masho, I I can get away with low poly characters. So far my highest character is about 600 polys, and the environment so far is about 700. (Metal note, get screenshots)
I found the limit with textures with my computer. If it tries to display more than a few textures at 1024x1024 there's a drop in frame rate. So I just need to figure out how to to use the LOD functions in reality factory now. :roll:

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Stencil shadows also tremendously drop the frame rate.
The optimization for these shadows is- if you have lod,only the base actor the higher poly will cast shadow,
which means will see the shadow only when you get close.

If you base actor is 700 faces lod1 should be at least 350 and lod3 175.
I know that is more work ,but you can make few and good enemies and place plenty of them in a level.

Possibly the collision calculation will not stop for the far houses that are not rendered because
a character that is chasing you and is slower than you,can be left behind and get clipped by the far clip plane, hidden by the fog.
You stop and after a while,the character may appear again out of the fog and catch up with you.I am not sure how the collision works, QoD will know.

Rf may like better many and small textures of 256 and of 512 than less and bigger like 1024 or 2048 or 4096.