How many pawns,destroyable barrels and stuff

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Veleran

How many pawns,destroyable barrels and stuff

Post by Veleran » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:17 pm

I design a dungeon with the old early 90's style,and want to add decor static entities to fill it.
The screenshot has temp textures that i found and i plan to make new ones and a little different for each pillar and wall slice.
I made the brushes in max 4.2 and exported them with a script as .map and then opened them in rfeditpro.
I used Lightmap scale 1.

Most difficult was the lightning to be good and natural while lightning the monsters enough,and to keep the brushes short enough so they do not block the view.
There are four lights ,one to the lower part of every pillar.
Generally the south walls will be clip brushes,invisible.

I wanted to do it 3rd person like ddo (dungeons and dragons online) but i avoided working on it because all actors will need much detail in textures and polycount for the base lod actors and that would consume much memory.
(not that i would find the time to add all that detail to every monster of the dungeon).

Lets say you have 2giga memory and a 512 mega 3d card.Can i add 25 static entites for rubble,bones etc,and 15 more for breakable barrels and another 50 pawns?
I dont want to see the places empty with bare walls and clean floors like this.
I hope rf can handle it,what you think?

The level geometry textures i would try are counted as 245x256.
To optimize further i thought to make some wall decals to richen a little the floors and walls and keep the txl texture library at minimum size.

GMer

Re: How many pawns,destroyable barrels and stuff

Post by GMer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:39 am

I don't think anyone has yet figured out the maximum amount of pawns and stuff that RF can handle. You just have to try it out and see if it works.
I suggest that you get NeverwinterNights II, it is low poly, looks great and is third person.
Oh, and btw, you really should have your textures 256x256.
Looks great so far, though!
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Still no cut to fit textures,but heres a slightly improved proportioned geometry with brighter texture.
Also i used a default light level 64 64 64.

The orange spray is a fire trap,(i have to make a monstrous stone or metal head for it to display as a trap),
which you can disable if you have the thieves tools,stand close enough and can also scavenge a mine attribute from each trap you disable,which you can use with the combination of a decoy pawn i plan to script.

Using a decoy to lure,the monsters might go after it and get blown up by the mine or burned by the trap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I also have to make the pawn colors bright like the player,that monster in the screen is temporary.
Last edited by Veleran on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMer

Post by GMer » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:58 pm

No picture :D
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Now,the picture is ok?
The view style will be like this,isometric camera with an angle around 55.
I plan to add some barrels with an explosion of splintered wood planks and some attributes at the same place with each barrel so,when the barrel is gone the attributes (potions of healing and ammunition mostly)
will be visible to pickup.

The black spaces to the south and southeast are clip brushes walls so they do not block the view and can keep you from falling down.

Most difficult was to make the marquees not intersect anywhere,have accuracy and to be convex.
I vertex edit the brushes with snaps in max and it was done.
Then,i placed fewer lights as possible and adjusted each light so it intersects the nearby light but do not get over-lit geometry.