Cut Brushes

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
TheBassinator143

Cut Brushes

Post by TheBassinator143 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:15 am

Are there any reasons that I should not use them for making doorways? If so, what kind of things are they best used for?

I'm really excited to be learning how to design games, any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Allanon

Re: Cut Brushes

Post by Allanon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:43 am

A cut brush is good for cutting holes in walls so a doorway is a good use for cut brushes.

TheBassinator143

Post by TheBassinator143 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 am

Yeah, I figured so. The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if having a ton of cut brushes in the level slows it down or not. Are there any real cons to using them?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:58 am

Some people say don't use cut brushes because the computer determines how the polygons get split and extra polygons get added. I don't think it's a big deal unless you are make a level with a lot of polygons then you might need to start conserving.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:56 am

The poly count can be much less if you use cut brushes,
It could be archways, cutting through multiple brushes together like a zigurat pyramid with a vertical cut from the top to the bottom in the middle,etc.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:57 pm

I use cut brushes for all the doorways in my game. If you're exited to learn how to make games, you'll need a proper tutorial. You can't use mine cuz im getting the audio/video to sync despite my 15ish trys at doing so, anyways just google: "how to make a free first person shooter part" its by a guy named "gigafide", hes the one who showed me that RF even existed. He'll teach you:
  • Level Design
    Custom Textures
    Scripting Enemys
    Moving Platforms
    Customizing HUD
    Distributing your game (2 different ways)
    And more(though I can't remember them)
Just remember that he has 3 tutorial even though he said he only has 2 in the first one, it was a change of plans.
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:11 am

Pros and cons of using cut brushes:
viewtopic.php?p=1189#p1189