How to disable the character selection screen for my game?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Nighthawk_0973

How to disable the character selection screen for my game?

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:39 pm

I'm making a game but I don't want the main character to be changed. How can I get rid of the character selection screen all togethor without using programming but just deleting things in the script. Is it even possible.
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

Allanon

Re: How to disable the character selection screen for my gam

Post by Allanon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:57 am

In the RealityFactory.ini file set the UseCharSelect parameter to false.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:58 am

Thanks so much dude! It works out well and now instead of "daniel" each time its unnamed. Not that it matters because I could've changed it in character.ini instead. I have a question though:
Do I still change the start level in character.ini or do I have to do it in some other .ini setting.
I'm asking this because it took me to a random level that comes with RF instead of my level: rmpg1.bsp which is still in progress yet playable.
https://sites.google.com/site/theneverendinguniverse/ <-- Infinite Universe Website. It's a 2D MMORPG I'm releasing into beta near the late summer (I hope :D) note: RF isn't an MMO maker. Not yet anyways.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:41 am

I'm not sure but I think the character.ini file is ignored if UseCharSelect is false and the PlayerName, PlayerAvatar, and StartLevel parameters from the realityfactory.ini file are used.

Nighthawk_0973

Post by Nighthawk_0973 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 pm

thanks i havn't gotten it to work yet but I will

ChainedFlight

Post by ChainedFlight » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:08 am

Nighthawk_0973 wrote:thanks i havn't gotten it to work yet but I will
Hi, I don't mean to dig up an old post, but were you ever able to get this to work? I don't intend for any character select either so I'm curious.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:29 pm

ChainedFlight wrote:
Hi, I don't mean to dig up an old post, but were you ever able to get this to work? I don't intend for any character select either so I'm curious.
Sure you can. Use the inieditor in the tools folder. Uncheck Allow Character Selection, and you can uncheck Allow Player Name Selection. That's it.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

ChainedFlight

Post by ChainedFlight » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 pm

steven8 wrote:
ChainedFlight wrote:
Sure you can. Use the inieditor in the tools folder. Uncheck Allow Character Selection, and you can uncheck Allow Player Name Selection. That's it.
Thanks for your help again! (It may seem odd that there's an exclamation point, but every time I went to test out the levels I had to click through those two screens (Name select and Choose a character) and since I don't want those in the final product anyway I wanted to just get them removed. I tend to jump into the game frequently to view things, so it was one thing slowing me down albeit by only a few seconds from the actual building.)

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:43 am

You are most welcome. Always happy to help. :D
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!