more brushes more difference with full vis?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Veleran

more brushes more difference with full vis?

Post by Veleran » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:09 am

If you have say 40000 portals and 880 brushes could ful vis make it run faster you think?
I have nt tried ful vis with that big level because i dont know how long it will take and if its for sure worth waiting,and it will get much much bigger.

I ask in case it is like:the more portals you see in regular compile,the more benefit you d get from full vis.
Might be just my idea or i need better than 2ghz cpu.

Some of the compile details

--- Load Brush File ---
Num Solid Brushes : 868

--- Save GBSP File ---
Num Models : 4, 320
Num Nodes : 6412, 282128
Num Solid Leafs : 1452, 87120
Num Total Leafs : 6416, 384960
Num Clusters : 4055, 16220
Num Areas : 1, 8
Num Area Portals : 0, 0
Num Leafs Sides : 14248, 113984
Num Planes : 4956, 99120
Num Faces : 9623, 346428
Num Leaf Faces : 11016, 44064
Num Vert Index : 44926, 179704
Num Verts : 12680, 152160
Num FaceInfo : 22, 1408
Num Textures : 6, 312
Motion Data Size : 406
Tex Data Size : 5898246
--- Vis GBSP File ---

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: more brushes more difference with full vis?

Post by QuestOfDreams » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:06 pm

Full Vis performs more accurate visibility calculations offline that otherwise have to be done on runtime, so basically you should always do a Full Vis compile once you've finished your level. The only drawbacks are a somewhat larger bsp file and a longer compilation time. With your level size this should not make a big difference, though. Concerning the rather high portal count: don't forget to use detail brushes.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:10 am

Thank you for the advise,i expected that it wont make a difference and will not try full vis with that much detailed level as it is anyway too slow in speed and you need a better computer than 2ghz ,2gb ram to run it smoother.

Not to say that if you press f8 for screenshot pawns teleport elsewhere so, i would better make more simple walls that can also be copied easier.

It was all those chamfered faces that raised the polycount and i flagged all with lightmap scale 0.5-all these played a part to the low framerate.

Detail brushes did not reduce the portals in regular compile from what i saw,
I also tried window flagged brushes to the marquees to see what happens and the frame rate was slower.

I hope can make attractive enough low poly bsp by adding sub levels on the floor,walls ,add balconies,ramps,at least i ll get some shadows this way instead of bare walls.
Maybe i ll put the rooms further form each other so the background has enough distance to get clipped by the farclip plane.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 am

Models dont have much to do with the topic title -ful vis - but i forgot to mention the tip that models optimized the portals a lot and raised the framerate,
but also took away the nice lightmap shadows that make it look good.
So im after low poly bsp even if its so sharp looking.

Anyway those detailed walls i had that produced so many portals could nt be used along with other brushes like alcoves,platforms ramps secret sections and such
that would make the game play better and give variation to the dungeon
because i could not easily modify the existing walls so other brushes can fit on them.

And,all were on the same ground level-another thing i will avoid.

I will use world models to crates and that will reduce the portals at these places,i wont use transparent tga textures for crates because someone might have a 4ghz 4gb ram and higher and turn stencil shadows on which shadow would be visible also
on the crate areas that are 100% transparent.