What level editor is the best for RF?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
incenseman2003

What level editor is the best for RF?

Post by incenseman2003 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:24 am

I have searched high and low and found info for rfedit and rfeditpro and WrldEdit. I have been using WrldEdit but only some of its features are available to me. All of the info that I have found on setting up WrldEdit to run is incomplete and out of date. Most of the sources tell you to use directory paths that do not exist and reference files that do not exist. the rffaq.txt is is out of date and tells to use paths that do not exist in the options.

Default Texture Library Name = gedit.txl (Does not exist Should be default.txl)
Default Texture Library Search Path = \media\levels (correct)
Default Entity Header Files = \source (Correct)
Template Library Directory = \media\objects (Does not exist)
Previewer Path= \RealityFactory.exe (Correct)

People use it, therefore there must be a way to make it work as intended.

So, now that it has been decided that the information does exist. My question is simple.

Where is there a complete and totally accurate up to date tutorial for setting up WrldEdit to run with all the features turned on?

And

Why is that when I copy a 3dt file from one PC to another PC, and all the files that it needs, and open the file it says that not all of the entities can be found and the entity library is limited to just 4 things and in the open file window it has a little paddle lock on the 3dt file that I tried to open?
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.

Nighthawk0973

Re: What level editor is the best for RF?

Post by Nighthawk0973 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 pm

RF Edit Pro is the best option to use.
"Embrace your dreams. And, whatever happens, protect your SOLDIER honor." -Zack Fair, Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:40 pm

rfeditpro has issues with the player falling through moving platforms and a few more that are near impossible to walk around.
Patience and tolerance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. Even those that are the most knowledgeable started with many questions.

Nighthawk0973

Post by Nighthawk0973 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:53 am

First of all, who's advice where you asking for again? And, second of all, RF Edit Pro is the default Reality Factory Editor.
"Embrace your dreams. And, whatever happens, protect your SOLDIER honor." -Zack Fair, Crisis Core Final Fantasy VII

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:01 am

"From Nighthawk0973 - First of all, who's advice where you asking for again? And, second of all, RF Edit Pro is the default Reality Factory Editor.".

To Nighthawk0973 - I joined the RF community Sun Mar 12, 2006. I am aware that RFEditPro is the default editor for RF. I started out using RFEditPro and was having issues with the player falling through and not being able to ride on MovingPlatforms. Someone suggested that I use WrldEdit. Now I have had issues with that and the last update of RF to 76.1. I was just asking if anyone at all knew of a better compatible level editor. I don't post here often, though I have in the past, as I can usually figure things out on my own. I wasn't asking any one persons advice, just the community in general. I am not sure why your post seems almost as though you might be offended by my answer to your reply. If my posts bother you then why do you bother to read them at all?

I would like to point out that I have not insulted you or made an effort to make you look foolish in any way. I only ask that you treat me with the same respect.

Ty. :)

paradoxnj
RF2 Dev Team

Post by paradoxnj » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:05 pm

incenseman, the only one being updated is RfEditPro. So I wouldn't use any of the others.
Many Bothans died to bring you this signature....

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Use RFEditPro 0.71.0 it is the most up to date editor.

Also make sure you have the latest version of RF, I think moving platforms were fixed in version 0.76.0.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:39 pm

To paradoxnj and Allanon - Ty. I totally missed the updated RfEditPro. That was the answer I was looking for.

Again, Ty. :)

EDIT: I installed the new RfEditPro and tried to run it and it said that the file mfc100.dll cannot be found on my PC.

I am running win7 32bit pro.

I found the anwser. You need to have vcredist_x86.exe installed and you can get it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... bf0912db84 .
Last edited by incenseman2003 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:13 pm

incenseman2003 wrote:EDIT: I installed the new RfEditPro and tried to run it and it said that the file mfc100.dll cannot be found on my PC.

I am running win7 32bit pro.
Install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.

incenseman2003

Post by incenseman2003 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Nighthawk0973

Post by Nighthawk0973 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:04 pm

incenseman2003 wrote:To paradoxnj and Allanon - Ty. I totally missed the updated RfEditPro. That was the answer I was looking for.

Again, Ty. :)
Told you :D

Sorry if I seemed rude before hand. I wonder if I was in a mad mood.... XD