How do I make transparent areas in a brush?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
crazy_coder

How do I make transparent areas in a brush?

Post by crazy_coder » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:15 pm

I'm trying to create some scaffolding in my game level. I want to be able to see through some areas of the scaffolding brush like in the Reality Factory demo (see the attachment for an example of what I'm talking about). I can't figure out how to go about adding the transparency to the brush.

Thanks
Attachments
screen001.jpg
(61.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Allanon

Re: How do I make transparent areas in a brush?

Post by Allanon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:01 am

Make sure your brush face is marked as transparent in the face attributes dialog box. If you are working with a 8-bit texture then make the last color of the palette the RGB color 255, 0, 254 and use it to paint the transparent parts of the texture. If you are using a 24-bit texture then just use the the RGB color 255, 0, 254 to paint the transparent parts of the texture. Or if you are using a TGA 32-bit texture then the image in the alpha channel will be transparent.

crazy_coder

Post by crazy_coder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Thanks a lot! I spent hours trying to figure this out.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:25 pm

crazy_coder wrote:I spent hours trying to figure this out.
You could have just searched this message board, looked in the documentation, or read the free ebook to find the answer. Most questions have already been asked and answered a few times on this message board.

crazy_coder

Post by crazy_coder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:40 pm

You could have just searched this message board, looked in the documentation, or read the free ebook to find the answer. Most questions have already been asked and answered a few times on this message board.
I have read the documentation and e-book at least three times each. I also could not find anything on the message board about this topic.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:24 am

crazy_coder wrote:I have read the documentation and e-book at least three times each. I also could not find anything on the message board about this topic.
I was wrong the ebook doesn't tell how to make a transparent texture but this message board and RF docs do.

Taken from the RF FAQ forum on this message board:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3158#p24553

Search the docs for transparent and this page is one of the results:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/someone/doc ... xtures.htm

crazy_coder

Post by crazy_coder » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks. I missed that section when I read the docs.