Can a 3D object be used for the muzzle flash?

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
realityfactoryusr

Can a 3D object be used for the muzzle flash?

Post by realityfactoryusr » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Using a texture would be ok, but I was thinking of using an animated model for the muzzle flash instead.
A cone, or a lightning strike. I could be wrong but I think Quake 1 uses a model for the lightning gun.
Its not a big deal, the game idea will work without it, I just thought it would be cooler with it than without.
Its for the Robot game I was working on. Thanks in advance!

ericssin

Re: Can a 3D object be used for the muzzle flash?

Post by ericssin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:39 pm

I think it's possible you can add the muzzle flash as part of the gun animation, you scale it down until it hides inside the model and animate it for the firing sequence

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Sorry it took so long to post, Im having trouble getting the model into the engine correctly. Its flickering on and off whenever you click to use it. I made a video just for it so anyone interested can see what I mean.
Please help, im so close...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x018vPhI9dc

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:12 pm

Does the hand actor attach on another main actor or is it the only one used by the player?
It could be a rotation and offset position error,maybe not.

(Sorry for taking 5 days to reply,i wanted to post at least four days now but my internet provider is down so often i do not have enough time to hit the post button or to load a 1 minute video,and does not look like it is going to be fixed).

The few times i managed to look at it , looked to me like the hand faces at you instead at the enemies ,
You can check if you need to apply a 180 degree Y rotation for the weapon actor in the 1st person section inside the Weapon ini.

Also load the actor in actor studio or equity and look at the skeleton,just in case something is wrong on the links or miss-named the bones.You use Capital letters for bone names,in .ini and level editor entities bone to attach to etc.

realityfactoryusr

Post by realityfactoryusr » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:37 pm

Hello again, got the mesh and muzzle flash to work FINALLY. Almost gave up. Its not much to look at but here goes.
Thanks for the suggestions, I dont think Im going to go for the 3D model as muzzle flash. Way too much hassle.

That odd box in the middle is supposed to be an NPC, its just a stand in for now for A.I.
That white line is the flash, its supposed to be some sort of capture stream. (use your imagination :) )
Anyone feel like designing some 3D models?