Tube to Slide Down

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
steven8

Tube to Slide Down

Post by steven8 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 am

I spent a bit of time last night trying to make a tube that a player can slide down. Like the tunnels Mario went in in the N64 game. I tried messing with the force, gravity and marking it as frozen, but no dice. The player always sticks when they land on the funnel brush I made, even when tagged as frozen. When I tried exerting force, as in the tech demo, that went awry as well. The player either bounced out of the tube, or kept being pushed around, or got his head stuck. No sliding whatsoever.

Here's the deal, for the second level of my game I'm creating with Daniel's new version of RF, I want the player to be shocked when they are just dropped out of the sky into a giant metal funnel, then slide down a tube and dumped into a disgusting sewer of a room. However, as stated above, I can't get the tube to work. I could make it a straight drop, but that just wouldn't be as exciting.

Any helpful thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Re: Tube to Slide Down

Post by QuestOfDreams » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:24 pm

Have you tried changing SlideSlope and/or SlideSpeed in the PlayerSetup entity? That might work, however, you probably would have to change to a new level after the sliding part to get back the default sliding behaviour ...

The Frozen brush contents is just a marker to play the correct environmental sounds (footsteps). It does not affect the player's speed or sliding.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:01 am

QuestOfDreams wrote:Have you tried changing SlideSlope and/or SlideSpeed in the PlayerSetup entity? That might work, however, you probably would have to change to a new level after the sliding part to get back the default sliding behaviour ...

The Frozen brush contents is just a marker to play the correct environmental sounds (footsteps). It does not affect the player's speed or sliding.
That's easy enough. At the end of the tube, I'll have the player slide into blackness, change level, and drop out of a ceiling, upon which, they will be able to look up and see the opening to the tube they just came down! Thank you, Daniel. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:12 am

Do you plan to use the slide slope to make the player also slide down on ramps and land on pointy spikes,lurkers (unless you jump) like in classic platformer games?
I saw this post and forgot to open it or i would also help you Steve.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:08 am

Veleran wrote:Do you plan to use the slide slope to make the player also slide down on ramps and land on pointy spikes,lurkers (unless you jump) like in classic platformer games?
I saw this post and forgot to open it or i would also help you Steve.
No worries, Valeran. I'm just having fun being back at it. All I wanted was a shock to the player. A basically uncontrollable slide down a big metal pipe into the next level. Now that I think about it, perhaps I should make it a cut scene. However, even after reading the docs the other night, I'm not sure how to go about making an in game movie to use as a cut scene.

I could sure use your help if you understand how to do that. Can it be done in the first person? If not, I would have to add an animation to Virgil where he sits or lays to do the sliding. As it 'stands' now, I guess he'll slide all the way down standing up. :D

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:22 am

Did you already try attaching the fixed camera to the player head bip,the moment he starts to slide and could nt see it work?bip bone names works with capital letters (at least to me)?
You can check the fixedCamera entity part of the docs to get ideas.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am

Veleran wrote:Did you already try attaching the fixed camera to the player head bip,the moment he starts to slide and could nt see it work?bip bone names works with capital letters (at least to me)?
I'm ashamed to say this, but I do not know how to attach the camera to an actor. :|

Also, I am not where I can work on game things. I am actually at work-work. Just gathering knowledge now to try out later at home.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:33 am

Okay, I thought I had this licked using the slideslope. I made my funnel brush, and my actor slide right off it. So then I added a couple more brushes of the tube...and stuck. :(

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:20 am

I had this problem years ago whit pawns that i wanted to slide down.I made the tube non solid and added four simple box clip collision boxes that i rotated to lower down one end.
If you sear the brushes to add a slope angle to them you might not get it right because the snap easily loses the snaps and might even crash the editor occasionaly.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:50 am

Veleran wrote:I had this problem years ago whit pawns that i wanted to slide down.I made the tube non solid and added four simple box clip collision boxes that i rotated to lower down one end.
If you sear the brushes to add a slope angle to them you might not get it right because the snap easily loses the snaps and might even crash the editor occasionaly.
Ahhh. That sounds like a very good idea. I will give that a go first chance I get.

I read through all the docs on scripting a pawn. Wow! I got lost. I've never been more than a VB programmer, because my head starts to spin when I look at C, C++ or even C#, no matter how much they say it's the same as VB. :)

[Edit] Should I decompile Virgil and create a slide animation?

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:07 pm

If you add a ViewSwitch entity type 0 = 1st Person and activate it with a trigger at the start of the slide ,will not have to modify virgil the player.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:58 am

I got it to work, but I don't like it. I've decided to go a different route. Thanks, Veleran!