Pick Up and Drop an item

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
steven8

Pick Up and Drop an item

Post by steven8 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Is it possible to pick up an item, then drop it in another area?
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!

Veleran

Re: Pick Up and Drop an item

Post by Veleran » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Press P and the weapon appears dropped and you can pick it up again.
Careful not to have unassigned control keys,if it does nt work, hit default controls in the level preview options/controls.
I say because i accidentally had the attack button unassigned without having noticed it (all i did to mess it up was just click on the attack key and highlight it without choosing which to assign).

steven8

Post by steven8 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:14 am

Veleran wrote:Press P and the weapon appears dropped and you can pick it up again.
Careful not to have unassigned control keys,if it does nt work, hit default controls in the level preview options/controls.
I say because i accidentally had the attack button unassigned without having noticed it (all i did to mess it up was just click on the attack key and highlight it without choosing which to assign).
Yeah, we know that, but what about something that is not a weapon? Would it work with a crate if we treated it like a weapon?

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:05 am

Am sorry i was hasty and did not answer.Depending how many different you want.
You can try to spawn Pawns as objects triggered by logic gates type use attribute and with positiontoplayer command drop them near the player,and setup the pawn bounding box height and width to match the object type the dropped.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:29 am

Dang. I just knew it was going to involve scripting. Out side of using the generic melee script, I have never successfully scripted anything.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 pm

We would need two entities for each dropped item,one Logic Gate and one Pawn,and this limits the total number per level if we want to keep the memory as free as possible for other calculations.
I might try work on it some day,for stone attributes to be dropped on pressure plates that activate traps or something of similar mechanics,i am not sure yet.

The more we add this way the more its is harder to track every one of them.

The projectiles can not be used either for this,they do not increase an attribute ,they only damage and destruct attributes and also they can not stay for long,unless i try a life time of many seconds but still some time later the life time will expire.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:11 am

Veleran wrote:We would need two entities for each dropped item,one Logic Gate and one Pawn,and this limits the total number per level if we want to keep the memory as free as possible for other calculations.
I might try work on it some day,for stone attributes to be dropped on pressure plates that activate traps or something of similar mechanics,i am not sure yet.

The more we add this way the more its is harder to track every one of them.

The projectiles can not be used either for this,they do not increase an attribute ,they only damage and destruct attributes and also they can not stay for long,unless i try a life time of many seconds but still some time later the life time will expire.
I'm trying to see how it would work, but I'm not getting it. I just have to wonder if we can set it as a weapon to be dropped.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:06 pm

I tried to set a weapon initial = 4 low = 0 high = 4 , and it i pressed P at various spots but only one weapon dropped total.

The idea was the logic gate -type use attribute-would just wait until it gets the signal that you use a specific attribute and triggers the attribute pawn to go to an order where it waits for a key to be pressed, and if so,modify that attribute by script command to -1 and to position to where the player is.
I have not tried it but in theory it looked like it would work.

steven8

Post by steven8 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:17 am

Veleran wrote:I tried to set a weapon initial = 4 low = 0 high = 4 , and it i pressed P at various spots but only one weapon dropped total.

The idea was the logic gate -type use attribute-would just wait until it gets the signal that you use a specific attribute and triggers the attribute pawn to go to an order where it waits for a key to be pressed, and if so,modify that attribute by script command to -1 and to position to where the player is.
I have not tried it but in theory it looked like it would work.
Okay, I understand the idea, but I don't understand, and have never understood, is how to make script affect anything in the game. The only thing I ever got to work was a pawn using the generic monster script. That was because a pawn asks what script to use. Otherwise, I'm lost.