Startup

Post topics regarding Level Building/Design and Entity Usage with Reality Factory
Sudi

Startup

Post by Sudi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:22 pm

Ok first of all hi!!! :D
i just found this software today and thouth lets give it a try...says its really easy no programming skill requiered...
So but now iam here and i studied the doc file but still i dont know how to work it....
i can model stuff and i can make maps not really prob for me....but how to put it in the engine and make my own game with it? i have no clue....
So i f anyone could give me a tutorial for the coding stuff and how to get it to work that would be relly nice... :D
anyways nice to be here now!!!

Sudi

gekido

no coding required

Post by gekido » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:45 pm

When you install the base Reality Factory installation - that IS your game.

Making a full game with Reality Factory involves customizing and/or replacing the content that ships with the engine - the RealityFactory.exe that ships with RF becomes your game's exe (and can be renamed however you want etc).

There's no 'coding' required to get your game up and running - simply compiling a level in the editor is about all that's required to get started building your game.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:49 am

hi, im sort of new my self.... about 3 months now and i can say that the program is exelent, hardly any bugs updates are made all the time to improve the engine.
Any way i found this yesterday, go to the home page and click on 'docs' and there is a tuturial for creating games bor beginers on it, looks useful, and then if you want to get a better understanding of some items you can look at this website http://www.jlstsi.com its an old site and is based on the older version of RF, it was called genesis3d, but this is how i started and i found it realy useful. this site still works with reality factory just a different desighn layout.
*GD*

Master

Post by Master » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:57 am

Genesis3d is not an older version of RF, it is the base game engine. RF is just a shell built around Genesis. If you have the skills Genesis has far greater cababilities than reality factory.

scott

Post by scott » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:05 am

RF is develpoed from Genesis3D so like you sedits built around genesis but its like an older version, RF is genesis with alot more tools and a demo and a way better forum.
Genesis is only better if you know how to programme, and this guy started RF because it didnt envolve programming.
*GD*

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:21 am

1) one of the main tool while building your game is RFEdit Pro the level editor for Reality Factory; here you can build your level geometry, texture it and add entities that will controll the game flow (e.g. triggers, logic gate) or add special effects (lights, particle system, flipbooks...)

2) for characters (player, non player characters) and props you will need a seperate modeling program (as described in the About section of this site); once you've done your models you have to convert them to the .act file format which can be used by Reality Factory; again you will use entities in the level editor to place the characters/props in your level

3) you can customize many features of Reality Factory such as the camera, the menu, the player, weapons, the hud etc via .ini files (you can find them in the "install" folder)

basic tutorial for the level editor

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:44 am

Wow i didn't think i will get so many replys...but anyways there is no tutorial how to convert ur models and put them actually in the game or how to make ur own level the starting one etc.....
and all these cool trigers are pretty useless when u dont know how to use them and building simple rooms and stuff is pretty simple and im already farmiliar with that.....
but how to change all this stuff like hud and menu thats what i want to know.

Sudi

QuestOfDreams
Site Admin

Post by QuestOfDreams » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:42 am

http://dhost.info/realityfactory/docs.htm
here you'll find descriptions of RF's features and how to change/customize them
Wow i didn't think i will get so many replys...but anyways there is no tutorial how to convert ur models and put them actually in the game or how to make ur own level the starting one etc.....
how to convert your models depends on the modeling program you are using;
if you have truespace you need the truegene exporter, milkshape 3d on the other hand can only export .bdy (body) and .mot (motion) files and you have to use AStudio to build an actor with them (http://dhost.info/realityfactory/about.htm)
a description of AStudio comes with the RF install just go to tools->Tools->Tools.html

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:09 pm

Ok now i have a really bad problem!
I found on one of the tool pages the nfo and key exporter for Gmax NOT 3Ds Max[ u]NOT[/u].
anyways when i try to export a nfo file it always sayssome vertex out of range with bones...when i export the example thats included it works but as soon as i change the influence radius in the example it doesn't work anymore so i think its something about the bone skin system but i don't know what it is.
So please help me.
Then i tried trueSpace and truegen but there i don't know how to apply painted textures and when convert it to act files it isn't painted compleetly anymore when i painted it beforehand in truespace with the paint tools.
if anybody could help me with that....of and than by the way how do anymate and save animations in truespace?

Sudi

Dru (Not Logged In)

Post by Dru (Not Logged In) » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:49 pm

You have to reate the animations with that object usin the keyframe editor.
use trueSpace help for more info

Sudi

Post by Sudi » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:17 pm

Lol keyframes how do i animate a sigle mesh object? i think thats impossible without bones....or are there bones in truespace3.2 ? i think that progamm has a really bad interface.

Sudi

Jay
RF Dev Team

Post by Jay » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:46 am

Sudi wrote:when convert it to act files it isn't painted compleetly anymore
Use ObjectUnion. You can only save one Object at a time. You can go this way only, because you cannot import scenes into RF(which i think would be the better way of importing, thinking of animations)
Everyone can see the difficult, but only the wise can see the simple.
-----