45 free to use, royatly free .act models!!!!!

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
miccy2000

Post by miccy2000 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:01 am

I can only get like, half the models. How do I get the rest?

bradman_92

Post by bradman_92 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:02 pm

sorry, i'm probably the worst noob on this site but how do you get these act.files into rfeditpro? do i need to make a script or something before they will function?

hike1
RF FAQ-Keeper

Post by hike1 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:02 pm

Anonymu$

Post by Anonymu$ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:28 pm

it can be done with static entity proxy
:)

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 01, 2007 5:49 pm

Hate to bump this topic seeing how its almost a month old, but how would I add weapons to these actors? I am using the WWII german, and allied model. I would like to have them holding a weapon. I already have the weapons in 3DS format. Is it even possilbe to add weapons to these .act models?

Thanks
Those who have all the answers, are never up to date on the questions.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Tue May 01, 2007 7:19 pm

You could add the weapon to the model in a modeling program and make the weapon a part of the model itself. Or you could use it as a weapon in RF.

Reality Factory has support for one weapon per pawn (pawns are script-controlled entitys, NPCs, enemies, even your main character can be a pawn), and Jay increased this to 16 with his Community Release. The built-in player character can also have a weapon attached to it. These weapons are actor files with the exact same skeleton as the model you want to attach it to. So you will need to open your model in a modeler, grab the skeleton, add the skeleton to the weapon and export to .bdy. Then use AStudio to convert the .bdy to .act. Note that the weapon actor doesn't need any animations, since it is animated along with the entity it is attached to.

Pawn weapons are defined in pawn.ini.
The RF manual:
You can define weapons in the Pawn.ini file that can be attached to the Pawn actor similar to the 3rd person weapons for the player. These weapon actors must have the same skeleton as the Pawn actor and require no animations, as they are animated by the Pawn actor's current animation. A Pawn weapon called '9mmAR' would be defined as follows

[9mmAR]
actorname = 9mmar.act - name of actor to use
actorrotation = 0 180 0 - rotation, in degrees to stand actor up
actorscale = 1 - scale of actor
fillcolor = 255 255 255 - color of actor
ambientcolor = 255 255 255 - brightness of actor
type = weapon
environmentmapping = true - if true then apply environment mapping to actor material
allmaterial = true - if true apply environment mapping to all actor materials
percentmapping = 75 - percentage of mapping to apply to material (0 to 100)
percentmaterial = 75 - percentage of material to use while mapping
Then there's a scripting command called SetWeapon() which lets you add a weapon to a pawn. It must be used within the pawn's script. So if you wanted to add the above weapon to a enemy pawn, you would add this to the first order of the script: SetWeapon("9mmAR");
(if you didn't get that, don't bother your head with it, you should try to learn the basics before jumping into scripting)

Adding the weapon to the built-in player is easier in my opinion. It's done with weapon.ini. The manual covers this pretty well, just look at the section called 'Weapon and Projectile Definition'.

If you still have trouble getting the weapons there, feel free to ask. There are loads of friendly people here to answer. :D

***EDIT***
Welcome to the forums, BTW. :wink:
Pain is only psychological.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 01, 2007 10:05 pm

Thanks so much for your help! This forum has been really freindly to me as I am just starting this learning curve! If I have problems, ill let you know.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue May 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Wowo, im really lost now. I really did not understand that much at all. :?:
Because this is an FPS, all I need for the player of the game to see, is a hand, and a bit of the forearm, and the gun with crosshairs. The npc's need to be holding wepons and running around. So the NPC's are the models that need to be holding a wepon. Does this involve some scripting?

Im really lost. :lol:

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed May 02, 2007 8:54 am

Ok, I'm sorry for confusing you. Let me try to explain it again. :)

The previous post was for the NPCs.

For the first person weapons you will need to model the hands and the arms first. Then you have to merge the weapon model with the arm model and that way you have only one model, the first person weapon model! This all has to be done in your modeling program. After that, import this model into RF with the AStudio. I don't know how to get a model from Anim8or to RF, though. It requires a series of importing/exporting. You should also have five animations for the weapon: idle, walk, shoot, reload and arm.
After that you'll have to tweak the file that holds the info for the first person weapons. This file is called weapon.ini and it is located in the install folder. Open it with any text editor, like NotePad. There should already be some weapon definitions in there. The easiest way to get your weapon to the game is to grab an existing weapon definition and replace the info with your own.

This is the definition for the c8 weapon that comes with RF:

Code: Select all

[c8]
type = weapon
slot = 0
firerate = 0.25
catagory = projectile
projectile = pistol_shell
etc...
Now, what concerns you right now is the 1st person part
viewactor = Weapon\v_c8.act
viewfillcolor = 255 255 255
viewambientcolor = 255 255 255
viewrotation = -52.0 82.0 4.0
viewoffset = 0.7 -38.80 6.0
viewscale = 0.61
viewlaunchoffset = 0 0 25
viewlaunchbone = Bip01 R Hand
viewanimationspeed = 1
viewarmanim = idle
viewidleanim = idle
viewattackanim = idle
viewaltattackanim = idle
viewhitanim = idle
viewalthitanim = idle
viewwalkanim = idle
'viewactor = ' (the first bold line) defines the actor file used for the weapon. So for example if you stored the model (with the arms, hands and the weapon) in weapon\MP40.act, you would set 'viewactor = weapon\MP40.act'. Replace also the animations with your own ones. The rest of the lines are for all kinds of tweaking and customizing. For more info, check the 'Weapon and Projectile Definition' section in the RF manual.

Then just fire up RF and hit '1'. The weapon should play its arming animation and then it's ready to be fired!

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed May 02, 2007 9:44 am

No, your post did'nt confuse me, the section in the RF manul did. :lol: I downloaded milkshape, and the 30 day trial, I also downloaded gmax. I'll play around with both. And this is a nooby question, where is the install folder located so I can find the wepon .ini?

Thanks for your help. Im slowing understanding some stuff.

Juutis

Post by Juutis » Wed May 02, 2007 9:48 am

No, your post did'nt confuse me
Oh, well that's good to hear! :D
Yea the manual can be confusing. :lol:

The install folder is right there in your Reality Factory folder. So the path to the weapon.ini file would be ...\RealityFactory\install\weapon.ini.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed May 02, 2007 9:53 am

ok great! Im finding I like gmax alot more then milkshape. Do you know where I could find a good looking hand and forearm model? I could make one myself, but I would like to test this as soon as possible. Im telling you, im like a kid in a candy shop when it comes to this program!

vrageprogrammer

Post by vrageprogrammer » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:23 am

sorry to bump this topic, but this has to be stickied, i mean, with people asking for so many actors and all.. :)
It was not Possible to determine the dimensions of the image....

sankha93

Re: 45 free to use, royatly free .act models!!!!!

Post by sankha93 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:51 am

Try out the models page in English at this link
http://translate.google.co.in/translate ... 26hs%3DFB3 :lol:
This is for the people who can't understand Spanish.
sankha93

steven8

Re:

Post by steven8 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:28 am

vrageprogrammer wrote:sorry to bump this topic, but this has to be stickied, i mean, with people asking for so many actors and all.. :)
There. . .it's stickied!
Steve Dilworth - Resisting change since 1965!