Found some ZBrush alternatives for the developer short on $

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
wackedoutbiker

Found some ZBrush alternatives for the developer short on $

Post by wackedoutbiker » Wed May 30, 2007 9:04 pm

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... ternatives

I'm going to be trying out a few of 'em.
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Wed May 30, 2007 10:37 pm

probally the best one i could see was sharp construction thanks for these dude, i'm still trying to come to terms with blenders scuplting ability but it seems limited at best, sharp seems like a good alternative to mudbox,

eventually want to get either mudbox or zbrush but untill i got the dollars these will do nicely.

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Thu May 31, 2007 10:16 pm

Yeah, but I can't find the download link for all the files I need. I tried the 2.12 one but it comes up as an error, and I have no idea how to get the 2.11 version to work. (no EXE)

Is there a compiled version of the latest release you can find?

And do you know if it uses tablets? because I'm thinking of buying one if that is the case.
More atrocities are committed in the name of that which is holy and righteous than that which is wicked and evil

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Thu May 31, 2007 10:41 pm

yea me too bro, i can't find the newest version of the gkmm, i only have one thats as high 2.8

gah it suck because this is the most promising of the lot, i tried the one of the other ones it's about as powerful as blenders scuplt, again ok, but i need a scupter with ABR support

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:23 pm

i find yself stupid for asking this but what's ABR support?

GD1

Post by GD1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:43 pm

uhmm.... linky linky http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries ... 10.7-1.exe

not sure if thats the version you wnat or not, but it says 2.10
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:57 am

ABR support
Photoshop brush support via alpha's heightmap based brushes, so you can paint rocks, screws anything thing your heart desires directly to model!

i.e you making a dragon, you can paint the scales right on to it save a boat load of time for finer detail plus there's tonnes of free photoshop brushes on the net

@ GD1 : WOOHOO thanks dude, gonna try now!

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:44 pm

Still comes up with an error saying gtk less than 2.8. However CBmodel pro looks promissing as the beta can be used forever after free registration and has abr support.

GD1

Post by GD1 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:05 pm

ooops, i read 2.08... not 2.8

sorry, but yeah, the version i linked to won't do you any good. I'm sure you've gotta be able to find it somewhere though.
Check out my band
Tougher Than Fort Knox

Spyrewolf

Post by Spyrewolf » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:24 am

found all of the runtimes, and after i installed it the bloody thing is corrupted anyways and i end up with memory exception error, anyway, have downloaded a trial of mudbox, it allows me to bake, so i'll use that untill it dies.

about mudbox, it's amazing like modelling with real clay but with an undo feature :D

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 pm

I'm not sure what kind of runtime I need anyway...I did find Second life for Wings3d and I think I'll try it tonight...

Here's the linky:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Wings_3D

wackedoutbiker

Post by wackedoutbiker » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:26 pm

@ Spyrewolf: I think it's just a problem with the Release candidate itself...I mean, maybe one of the other versions will work. I'm looking for an EXE of one....