3ds Max 2008 NFO & KEY export plugins

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
jonas

Re: 3ds Max 2008 NFO & KEY export plugins

Post by jonas » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:19 pm

darksmaster923 wrote:
jonas wrote:Sweet thanks Allanon, I updated to 2008 and went to try and export my models into rf the other day to see if it could handle the model, and the export didn't work. Many thanks. :D
um what?
um... just like I said... I was seeing if rf(Reality factory) Could properly display my model... I'm using rf as a testing bed for my game while I develop and decide which engine i'm going to use for my final product.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 pm

jonas wrote:
darksmaster923 wrote:
jonas wrote:Sweet thanks Allanon, I updated to 2008 and went to try and export my models into rf the other day to see if it could handle the model, and the export didn't work. Many thanks. :D
um what?
um... just like I said... I was seeing if rf(Reality factory) Could properly display my model... I'm using rf as a testing bed for my game while I develop and decide which engine i'm going to use for my final product.
I think darksmaster923's comment was about how confusing your post was. First you say sweet to me implying you are happy with the plugins then you proceed to state that the plugins didn't work then you thank me. But I'm assuming when you tried to export the models with 3ds max 2008 you were not using the 2008 plugins and the earlier versions didn't work. But your comment made it sound like you used the 2008 plugins and they didn't work and you were happy about it.

Or you were just being sarcastic and thanking me for plugins that didn't work. :)

jonas

Post by jonas » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:42 pm

oh sorry :) no by the other day I meant before I got the plugins for 2008. As in the old plugins. :lol: sorry about the confusion. I got your plugins to work with ease.
Jonas

Focused, hard work is the real key to success. Keep your eyes on the goal, and just keep taking the next step towards completing it. If you aren't sure which way to do something, do it both ways and see which works better. - John Carmack

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks a lot Allanon.i didnt expect such a good luck.
I needed these pluggings badly.
I preffer max above all,and i use it since 3ds max 1.5.

GMer

Post by GMer » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:45 pm

Hi I am having trouble with the exporters (or something similar, anyway). I assign textures to a model using gmax and run the exporting scripts, then when I compile it using Actor Studio there are no textures. Could someone tell me what I may be doing wrong?
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:56 am

GMar, open the NFO file which was created by the exporter with a text editor. Then make sure the texture filenames are listed and they are bitmap files. If they are not bitmap files you will need to convert the files to bitmaps and change the file extension of the texture filenames to .bmp in the NFO file. Also in Actor Studio make sure the materials directory is pointing to the correct path that has the bitmap files.

GMer

Post by GMer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:52 pm

Thanks for the help Allanon! I'll try just that...
Over 3 years (has it been that long?) and just now I noticed the day and month of my birthday were switched. Whoops!

Some 2d games I made, haven't made anything in a year though O.o
http://www.yoyogames.com/users/GMer56

blutwurstchen

Post by blutwurstchen » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:06 am

This may be a lame question, but where do those plugins go - in the stplugs folder or the plugins folder. I have tried both, but when I try to export I am not getting an option to export as an NFO or KEY file.

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:02 am

Extract them in to the Plugins folder, and when you export a model you should see the .NFO and .KEY option in the "Save as type" drop down box. Might have to scroll down to see them.

blutwurstchen

Post by blutwurstchen » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks,

I pasted the files into the plugins folder again and it seems to work now. Not sure quite what I was doing wrong!

lord_marcus2

Post by lord_marcus2 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 am

This would be great, if I could export model and animations, but unfortunatly my 3dstudio max 9 says that the plugins weren't made for this version...

Did you mean 3d studio max 9?

Allanon

Post by Allanon » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:08 pm

These plugins were made for 3ds Max 2008 which is the version after 3ds Max 9. To get 3ds Max 9 plugins you will need to recompile the the plugin code with the 3ds Max 9 SDK . I don't have the 3ds Max 9 SDK but it should be located on the disc so you should be able to recompile the plugins yourself or find someone who knows how to program to recompile them for you. If you do get them recompiled for 3ds Max 9 then please post them so others can use them.

You might try the 3ds max 6/7 actor exporter plugin but It probably won't work.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Any bones newer than max 2,5 and 3 version are nt read by actorstudio (all actorstudios and equity 5.0.5).
I can only compile in Astudio bipeds and old max 2 to 3 bones.

For max 3 i m not sure but i think these days the bones had n t changed yet.
In max 4 the bones already had taken the grey color display-which does n t work for me during actor compile.

I guess you always used only bipeds,otherwise it happens only to me.
I have saved some old max 2-3 bones somwhere and use the same for static objects,but cant create in max 2008
new bones.

It would be helpfull if you can check it please,and after you verify it ,update and recompile the plugins so they can export newer bones.
If it is a matter of actor studio i do not know.
What Astudio exactly says is that it finds no bones.

ERROR: Could not find bone 'BONE01' for mesh 'Karagiozis' in 'Kar bonetest.NFO' NFO file

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Or you could export using the ogrexml exporter see here http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Exporters and then import that into equity to make your actor. But make sure you are not using weighted vertices, neither Equity nor Rf support them.

Veleran

Post by Veleran » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:20 am

I have actors with vertices assigned to more than one bone but never had a problem compiling them because rf ignores more than one bone per vertice.

Yesterday i did some more tests with the newer max 2008 bones and the vertices were all assigned to one bone only,
the result was the message i mentioned.
Some times it cant find one of the bones -usually the ones that seem more stretched-but thats a detail i think.

I dont know if the plugins will be updated,so when i can,i will install again max 3 or max 2,5 so i can import there as obj the actor and create the bones (in the appropriate positions) in the older max before i reload them to max 2008.

I use bipeds mostly,but some characters need extra bones for clothes or the mouths for instance,so i often need to create spline-like bone chains.(like bones at the shape of a mouth).