UV mapper?

Topics relating to Modeling with Reality Factory.
Agentarrow

UV mapper?

Post by Agentarrow » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:42 pm

what exactly is a UV mapper? I've heard about them but never known what they are, and is there one available for milkshape?
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

bernie
RF Moderator

Re: UV mapper?

Post by bernie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:06 am

Lithunwrap is a UV mapper. Milkshape has it's own built in UV mapper but it's not all that good. another free one is UVmapper classic and there's another called roadkill which is the same as blenders uvmapper. There are quite a few UV mappers available but they tend to be costly.
UV mappers are used to make the texture appear correctly on non uniform surfaces.

Agentarrow

Post by Agentarrow » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:34 am

okay, thanks
AgentArrow Home
The greater good is but a point of view...

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:45 pm

Well, I was working on a tutorial and UV mapping was covered in it, but allas, the darn thing got overwritten and everything is lost now. Anyway, got some question regarding this, don't hesitate to PM me and I could whip up a little UV tut for you, if ya need it.
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing

bernie
RF Moderator

Post by bernie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:55 pm

Yeah UV mapping is the thing I find most difficult in the whole of gamemaking. It's rather like when your mother makes a dress she has to "flatten" out the pattern and really it is guesswork. It's not so bad on regular objects like a cube, a pyramid, a cylinder or even a sphere but when you get irregular objects like body parts or terrains and such like it becomes an absolute nightmare to get it right. I guess that why uv mappers that work well are very expensive. Lithunwrap is about the best of the freebies but it's still very difficult to get it right. A good tute for lithunwrap is really needed, so sph!nx, that's the challenge, go for it man. I wish I could explain things so that folk could understand what I am saying but I don't fully understand it myself. Finding the correct place for the seam and juggling vertices to get the texture even is not my thing I'm afraid. I will help where I can but ...

Sph!nx

Post by Sph!nx » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:15 pm

Yup, proper UV mapping is an art on it's own. It's kinda like the simple objects, a UV projection first and later move the vertexes so the texture will fit. Also, making proper groups is very important!

I can't really explain how to do it all, but I will document every step I do when I'm going to UV map a human character. (including group making)

EDIT :
Actually, I dont have to do this! I just remembered the tutorial that I've learned from years ago! There are two I used ... gimme a sec.

Edit 2 :
Psionics zombie tutorial explains everything from concept to animation!
http://www.psionic3d.co.uk/page.php?3

This tutorial, the CS girl, even bigger and elaborates even more.
http://www.dosfx.com/tutorials.asp
Regards Sph!nx

Sven Co-op, DevEd: Development & Editing